1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
hostile1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise

How do I resolve a bad ticking noise on my 2002 durango with the 4.7. I have only really dealt with gm vehicles never dealt with an overhead cam car so I don't know how to adjust the valves to get rid of the tick or if there is some other process.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ticking noise

Hostile:

I don't believe the tappets are adjustable on these engines. Provide more info on the noise you are hearing. Quite a few 4.7 owners have experienced loose/broken exhaust manifold studs which allow a leak sounding very much like a lifter or other tapping noise.

Do you hear the noise all the time, or only when first started for a short while.

Don

Old 12-26-2007, 09:26 PM
hostile1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty much all the time at idle, otherwise you don't hear it.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hostile:

If you had a cracked manifold, the sound usually goes away or lessens when the engine warms up. Could be that you have a broken stud which is allowing the leak all the time.

You might try having a second person take a rag and block the exhaust pipe at the rear for say 10 seconds at time, then give it a rest. While doing this, watch around the manifolds for a leak.

If you have access to an auto stethoscope, you might try to listen around under the good to see if the noise is inside the engine, or elsewhere.

Don

Quick Reply: ticking noise