1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TRANS P CODES

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TRANS P CODES

Yeah those warranty companies are scam artists for sure. When my tranny went they wanted to tow my D to another shop that didn't even specialize in transmissions because it was the cheapest in the area. I ended up paying nearly half of the bill to have AAMCO fix it only to find out that even though they specialize in tranny's they obviously have no clue about Dodge's...

Read my horror story here https://dodgeforum.com/m_600882/tm.htm
Follow the instructions and your D should be back up and running strong.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad experience in 2000 with my Taurus. Rod Bearing went, caused by oil pump fail. Stay with me it gets interesting now. Dealer called with diagnosis, I am out of town, so I didnt waste the rental, paid deductible, etc... Still with me? Service Advisor recommends new pump to warranty company, at their wholesale price, warranty says NO! I even offered to pay the warranty company price for new pump, they still say NO! At that time it would have been worth it to have a new pump for peace of mind, but since warranty company declined dealer would not give me wholesale price, and it would have been almost $300 (or maybe I just fell for it!!) To this day I can't figure out why if they had to put a oil pump back in, what difference would it make, I tell you, warranty company was banking on the warranty expiring before the oil pump. Since this was their second claim, (the infamous Ford 3.8L Head warpagefive months earlier.) I guess I wasn't on their favorite list. Fast forward to 2008, and a Jeep Cherokee in between the Taurus and the D, no issues there, now the same warranty company thatI am paying for, they are stalling me. Based on the numerous M.I.L. and now this, I am trying to be objective, but so far finding it a tough cause to continue with D or for that matter anyDodge product, I thought Daimler Benz taking over was supposed to make them better? I am getting on a rant here, but lets hope it is covered, and at least I could have a fairly reasonable expectation of a long lasting tranny after this repair, what ever it is. I will keep you updated.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Well, latest update. AS of now, does not look good, as expected, warranty company trying to loophole their way out. Damage recovery mode if necessary. Local salvage yard has trans in stock. Reasonable prices, question is think it would be worth it if I can find place to install? Trans already out, and apparently tore down. I might lose the core but at this point it might be least expensive. Any input?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out TheFastmann.com. They have the goods you need plus some at the best prices http://thefastman.com/transmissionComplete.asp

Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I will check them out. No pricing info for a 545rfe. Any local INDY ARea forumeteers have any recommendations, besides Champion JCD, Edwards and Possibly AAMCO. I may need a place to install a used transmisson, just install test, and sign off. I A tall order but any ideas? I need inexpensive and reasonably quick. I should find out tomorrow what exactly needs replacing, and be in a better updates from parts and technician availability. A Note to all Indy area Tranny mechs. ALL NON EMERGENCY VACATION's will be cancelled until further notice. (J.K!!!) and for those willing to work a Sunday, I have a 42" DLP that we can hook up to get some HD signals for the playoffs. I mean't that I watch NFLand you work on the Tranny install. (LOL!!) u can watch it on a break, but don't get tranny fluid in the ranch dip. No, that last part was serious. Seriously and input for local area repair.?

Steve

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely check with fastman to see if they have a 545rFe for you. I was in disgust when my tranny went out and the dealer wanted nearly $5k for replacement. Tranny's are 1st gen durango's archille's heel. I took care of my tranny since I had this D, changed tranny oil and such every 15k miles and still the tranny went out on me and I was at 75k miles. Luckily it was still drivable, just no reverse gear. After checking around and hearing other user's tranny issues on this forum, I knew my time was coming eventually. Checked around and got ahold of Fastman as alot of users here loves his product and he stands by them.

I cannot remember how much his tranny ran, but it was not expensive even with shipping as you will be getting a customized heavy duty tranny that is built way better than factory specs. I know this fastman tranny I got may problaby outlast the life of my D. Another good thing is when I am ready to seriously add some extra power to my 5.9, the tranny is good to go to handle the extra power.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

UPDATE: Warranty covering, plus rental. One down, still out of service,next updateThursday afternoon. Well, at least it is covered, -$100 deductible, plus I got them to drain and reservice differentials and Transfer case no extra charge, No GASKET REMOVAL this time, just drain and fill. I figured while on a lift is good as time as any. Thanks for the support. Next subject. Any preventative measures, not involving gasket removal or pan removal that will not leak or void warranty, but still maintain performance and economy?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

You all know the drill, 15 more minutes, 15 more minutes, 15 more minutes, etc.... anyhoo, next update tomorrow afternoon. I will post when I get something.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure they check or replace the torque converter.

Also make sure they completly flush the system realy good. Even small metal fragments will screw it up. Dodge is great on even just 1 fragment.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Final numbers, approx $3500. Complete rebuild, new gaskets, seals, clutches, washers/bearings, T/C, Gil Younger shift kit. Final Diagnosis, O/D and U/D Clutches burnt, and bad drum.I Read a couple of off road forums and it seems pretty good, but does anyone know much about these Gil Younger shift Kits? Total time out of service, 12 days. They called and it wasbeing finished upyesterday afternoon, but sinceI hadalready checked the rental for one more day, and they were closingwe decided toallow thepan sealant to cure overnight and it was ready about 1100 this morning. Extra tworental dayscame off deductible, so a prettyfair trade, and Enterprise allowed the warranty company rate for my self pay, so overall it worked out. Test drive, shifts sweet, infactthe afterburner effectmight take a little getting used to with the new tight settings. Thanks for everyones input and assistance, sounds like I got real lucky. Follow upvisit with trans shop in about 200 miles for fluid check as it works through the system.

Quick Reply: TRANS P CODES