1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
1star2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up

I have a 2000 Durango 4.7L that needs a tune up according to the dealership. Is it a simple process to change out the spark plugs on this or is it something that I need to have the dealer do? What else do I need to check or replace when doing a tune up? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 PM
doziersdodge
Professional
Default RE: Tune Up

Do it yourself dude. Save the money on letting the dealer do it and get you a good set of wires and plugs. Get a cap and rotor too if you want. I got mine from NAPA - good high quality rotor and cap. I then ordered me some plugs and wires from DiscountAutoParts.com. KEM brand wires and NGK plugs. Take your intake off and start pulling wires. Remember to mark each wire and it is a good idea to draw a diagram of where the wires go on the block and on the cap. Not too hard to do...took me less than an hour to do...while I was changing my oil too.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Bamboo
Rookie

The 4.7L has individual coil packs for each cylinder so there's no wires, cap or rotor to change. Each coil pack has one nut holding it down (10MM socket.) Remove the stock plastic thotttle body intake (4 screws) which will make it easier to get to a couple of the plugs on the passenger side. Buy some NGK plugs 6 series at your local parts store (http://www.sparkplugs.com) to see what part number you need and go for it. One guy can do it in under an hour.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 AM
1star2

Cool thanks for the help!! The 4.7 doesn't have wires? So do I pull out each coil pack and the spark plug is in there? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Bamboo
Rookie

Yes, the coil packs pull straight up and the plug is at the bottom. Just disconnect the wire connection to each pack, unscrew the nut and remove. Be sure to use a little canned air to blow out the dirt after you remove each coil pack. The plugs come straight up as well so you don't want dirt dropping down in your cylinders!

It's a pretty easy job. Way easier than the 5.9L

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tune Up