1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango wheel hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
mommy_with_durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango wheel hub

hey Guys,
I'm a chick (that does my own repairs) so please don't laugh I need to replace my 2001 Durango RT 5.9L
left front wheel hub. To get a new one I need to know if it's 2W or 4W ABS. I see it might be possible to tell
from the last 8 VIN char's. they are 1F528303. Is there another way to tell? There is a sensor in the hub, I broke it while removing the hub. The hub was so rusted it held the sensor in. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Durango wheel hub

if you see 2 wires going to the hub. then you have 4 wheel abs. if there is no wires, then you have 2 wheel abs.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

The dealer can help, and shouldn't even cost. Ask them to get you a build sheet, it might take a few minutes to print out, but this is what the factory uses for assembly. I got mine reprinted, ithas everything paint, body, engine, trans, axle, interior trim, radio options, colors, tires etc..... Based on what I am reading it sounds like Rear ABS, but dealer can tell for sure. If it helps as a reference my 03 4.7 SLT was the first year for standard rear disc brakes, but I am still on Rear ABS only. I was just checking some other references to double check. It sounds like a predominant pattern on those model years was rear only, but you may have got lucky. When the dealer prints the build sheet for you make a copy and keep one in the glove compartment the other in a safe area, for future use.

Good luck!!!!!!

Steve

Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure about the Vin recognition, ABS is an option and not a necessity for Vin #'s
Heres a quick sum up of a Vin layout from Chrysler
1-Country of Origin
2-Make
3-Vehicle type
4-GVWR and Hydraulic Brakes
5-Line
6-Series
7-Body Style
8-Engine
9- Check digit for Vin verification
10-Model year
11-Assembly plant
12-17 - sequence number assigned by assembly plant.
Doesnt seem right but i was able to tell your vehicle was made in Newark [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
duff73
Rookie

I just changed the same hub you are, and I was asked the same question. I knew on mine it was not 4w ABS, but the parts guy only gave me one with ABS, and all I did was not connect a wiring harness to it. Its all the same old **** anyways.

Quick Reply: Durango wheel hub