1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango won't start...voltage gauge all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Brackneyc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango won't start...voltage gauge all over the place

Hey all, I have lurked here for quite a while and gotten some good info on these POS Durangos. I hate mine and wish I had never bought it. But, with that being said, here is the problem(s).

The other night, this thing just died for no reason. No noises, no indication of a problem. The only thing I noticed was the "check guages" light and the volts dropping down to 8, I ended up changing out the alternator and the coil (alt tested bad). This did not fix the problem. I did notice however that the guage would periodically jump way above normal, then settle back to normal, then drop way down again. I am also now getting the "airbag" light every now and again. Now, I tried to drive it to a garage this morning, and it ran good for about ten minutes. Then the airbag light, the guages light and the voltage guage went nuts. I popped the hood when I finally got it home, and the battery was litterally sizzling, and a lot of water had come out of it.

I have read a lot about PCMs, but I am not going to change that until I am am sure this is the issue. I did get a check engine light the other day, but it was a low voltage indicator (p1682 I think).

I am fed up with this vehicle, and just want to be able to have my wife drive it without worrying. Any ideas??

Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 99 Durango won't start...voltage gauge all over the place

Make model year miles?

Clean up the acid, replace the battery then go through the connections to makes sure eveything is alright ESP the grounds.. Check the battery voltage on the D both on and off. Nothing more than 15. And yes, the regulators are built in our pcms.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats your vehicle? Reading up MEANGREEN had an issue with his and the voltage regulator was in his Alt.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Brackneyc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, I was in the heat of the moment. It is a 99 Durango with a 5.2, 90,000 miles. I tested the alt before bringing it home. Can't test it on the vehicle because I can't get it started to get it to the store.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The voltage regulator is in the alt. Don't ever buy a rebuilt alt. Always go new.

I would bet that the battery took out the original alt, and it is screwing up the new one. Get it out before it blows the new alt. Auto Zone has the best deal with the best warranty I've found.

Quick Reply: 99 Durango won't start...voltage gauge all over the place