Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:09 AM
mattmalick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start after cranking, rough idle and stuck in second gear

2000 Durango
4.7 L
62,000 miles

Ok, I will try to explain what has happened with my Durango over the last month. First, no sign of a problem when I shut it off and went into the grocery store...came out and it cranked strong but would not start (this is when the check engine light came on). After a little cranking it finally started and had a rough idle, shut it off and waited awhile and started again...everything seemed fine. I check the codes and I got P0320 (crankshaft position sensor) and P0700 (some thing with the transmission controler or something), I reset the pcm to turn the light off. Everything was ok for a couple of days and it did the same thing again. Didn't reset the PCM but the light went off on it's own after about a day. The next instance, I was driving to work and coming to a stop when it just died, after some cranking it started but had a rough idle and would not shift down to first gear but all other gears worked fine. I checked the codes and only got the P0320 and not the transmission code. The frequency has been increasing with the no-startings. The basic pattern seems to be that it cranks hard until it starts (has an idle surge from about 600-1100), won't take off in first gear, after I drive it a short distance I can stop turn it off and it restarts just fine and shifts into first gear. The light always goes off on it's own after about a day.

Q's

1. Anyone with similar problems?

2. Is there anything special I need to know about swapping out the crankshaft position sensor, it is only a $40 part and it seems easy enough to get to (behind the passenger front tire)?

3. Also, would a problem with the cps have caused the code for the transmission to show up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: Hard start after cranking, rough idle and stuck in second gear