1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango R/T - Need help- Front Drive Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:48 PM
rab005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Durango R/T - Need help- Front Drive Line

Hi All- I don't post very often but usually find answers to my questions by doing searches on this great forum.

My problem is related to the front drive-line. For the last few months, I have noticed a"whine" in my drive train. The "whine" starts around 40mph and continues until I take my front off the gas pedal. If I take my foot completely off the gas pedal it quits the "whinning". It sounds like a gear "whine". Only whines under a slight engine/drive trainload.

Today, I removed the front drive shaft to try to pin point which end the "whine" was coming from. The whine has completely disappear since I removed the front drive shaft.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be casuing this issue? I'm assuming it's a bearing on the pinion or some type of bearing located in the front diff. I did change the fluids over to Amsoil about 6 months ago and the fluild level is not low. If it is a bearing, how much would it cost to fix?

A second question. Is it okay to drive my Durango without the front drive shaft? I found a old post that stated to putit in 4Hibut didn'tstate if this was a good idea. I actually like it... because the Dnow runs like a sports car. The rear posi will definetly put you sideways. Reminds me of my previous car which was a 99 Trans Am FireHawk.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 01 Durango R/T - Need help- Front Drive Line

Rab005:

Sounds like you ineed have an issue inside the front diff. My guess would be that you may have a pinion bearing on the way out, or other issue involving the R/P gears. With the from shaft out, all the parts still rotate, but they are no longer under load.

On second thought, check your U joints on the front shaft real well. I would also grab the yoke on the front diff and see if there is any side to side play.

I believe you can leave the front shaft out for as long as you want without issue as long as you keep the t case in 4 high.

Don

Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
stinger35

I have the same situation right now with my 01 R/T with 110,000. It starts around 30mph with the whine and relaxes when you take your foot off the pedal. Up on a lift my mech said the transfer case was howling at 40 mph. I'm debating a trans case rebuild, but i would like to know what route you took. Did you get into the front diff???

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 PM
rab005

Stinger35,

No. I've just been driving it without the front drive shaft.Waiting for the weather to warm up in KC, Missouri. I just turned 60K on my 01 R/T. I did take it to a local mech shop and they wasn't sure if it was front diff or transfer case. Ineed to put the front drive shaft back in and let them check it out.

Personally, I kinda thought it was my transfer case too. The whine noise sounds like it's right under the driver's seat and not towards the front of the D...which would be the T-Case. It's definetly a worn bearingin one of them.

I almost traded it in on a new left over 07 Chevy Trailbrazer SS but the gas mileage is worst then the D. I'll probably just keep the "D".

Please let me know what you find out on your D. I'll do the same if I get mine fixed before you do.
Thanks, Bob.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
stinger35

Thanks for the reply I will definately get back to you once I decide which to attack, but I am leaning towards the transfer case.

Thanks,
Ken

Additionally, I talked to a guy with an ss chevy, It's a worse pump pig than our R/T's. He had a 1/4 tank and put 94$ in it. Ouch.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
rab005

Thanks Ken!

That's funny on the SS... but it does have the LS2 engine with 390 hp. So... a 140 more hpthen our "D's"...I could see how it would drink more gas. Ha..Ha. Yeah, they are talking $4.00 a gallon later this year and I think you have to use prem gas in that SS.

Quick Reply: 01 Durango R/T - Need help- Front Drive Line