1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango mystery front end squeak? Shifter Switch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Dango85
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 03 Durango mystery front end squeak? HELP!

While it's a different topic, about the ignition lock:

This was the most recent recall on the trucks. Although, the recall entailed being able to shift out of park with the keys in or a foot on the brakes. There is an interlock in there prevent the truck from inadvertently shifting and rolling away.

Most vehicles allow you to shift out of park if you put the keys in and turn them forward, without starting the truck. It's how you would move the truck if the battery was dead or something and you needed to push or tow it.

If you can shift out of park without the keys, then you need to have the recall done. If it shifts out with the keys in and turned forward and a foot on the brake, then it's OK, and nothing is busted.

Regarding the squeak:

Definitely check the bushings. Mine certainly squeak. Just figured I'd throw my hat in on it as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
deerang
All Star

It's how you would move the truck if the battery was dead or something and you needed to push or tow it
or how you leave the girlfriends house at 3am when you've got a flowmaster trying to wake everybody up

Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dango85

While it's a different topic, about the ignition lock:

This was the most recent recall on the trucks. Although, the recall entailed being able to shift out of park with the keys in or a foot on the brakes. There is an interlock in there prevent the truck from inadvertently shifting and rolling away.

Most vehicles allow you to shift out of park if you put the keys in and turn them forward, without starting the truck. It's how you would move the truck if the battery was dead or something and you needed to push or tow it.

If you can shift out of park without the keys, then you need to have the recall done. If it shifts out with the keys in and turned forward and a foot on the brake, then it's OK, and nothing is busted.

Regarding the squeak:

Definitely check the bushings. Mine certainly squeak. Just figured I'd throw my hat in on it as well.
Why should you be able to turn the key only and have the shifter unlock?

I was under the impression that by law the shifter can only be unlocked by turning the key AND pushing the brake. This was to keep someone from having the car started and have someone kick it into gear. The brake safety was initiated because of this exact problem. The brake switch ensures that a driver is behind the wheel before shifting can take place.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Dango85
Rookie

Yes, you need to have the keys in, turned forward, and a foot on the brake. That's how it should be. Sorry if that didn't make sense in the earlier post.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Durango03
Veteran

But what I originally said was... I Can shift the gears WITHOUT my foot on the brake. This SHOULDNT happen!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed. So what is going on? [sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 AM
deerang
All Star

I Can shift the gears WITHOUT my foot on the brake. This SHOULDNT happen!
I don't really see this as that big of a problem...

Maybe its just me, but I don't see how I could get into trouble from accidentally shifting into reverse of Neutral, unexpectedly while the keys are in the ignition (and turned on).. 99/100 times when the keys are in the ignition, somebody is in the drivers seat (in my case at least)... The keys being in the ignition is a pretty big indication that somebody intends on driving...

Old 03-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Durango03
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Agreed. So what is going on? [sm=feedback.gif]

I have to make an appt. and also have time to do it. Its not a MAJOR problem right now, so Im in no hurry.

I don't really see this as that big of a problem...

Maybe its just me, but I don't see how I could get into trouble from accidentally shifting into reverse of Neutral, unexpectedly while the keys are in the ignition (and turned on).. 99/100 times when the keys are in the ignition, somebody is in the drivers seat (in my case at least)... The keys being in the ignition is a pretty big indication that somebody intends on driving...
Never said it was a major Problem, just said its Not Suppose to Do It! If something aint working right and U have a Warranty... Why Not get if fixed?!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Dango85
Rookie

It should not be a warranty issue, it should fall under the recall issue.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
deerang
All Star

oh man, rereading that I kinda came across as a dick... for the record, I'm not

Never said it was a major Problem, just said its Not Suppose to Do It! If something aint working right and U have a Warranty... Why Not get if fixed?!
I personally like being able to take in outta park without the brake, I'm pretty used to driving standard, and the switch from 3 pedals to 2 gets me everytime.. one less thing slowing me down and p***ing me off at 415 am is just awesome...

Quick Reply: 03 Durango mystery front end squeak? Shifter Switch!