1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Computer Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Computer Tune

I am curious what is updatable on our 1st gen machines? Only thing I can think of is possible bug updates? haha, uploading a bug to your D is not a good thing I suppose?

So far, I am happy with my hypertech III set on regular 87 octane.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not quite sure on the features than are updateable. But it sure would be fun if you could enter the programing. It comes with a USB to computer.

I'm hopeing for a program now or later that will run with them.This would be sweet!

Ya, a bug would suck but I think personal info on the D would be safe.....LOL

Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Kensai
Champion

I went to Truckaddons.com where I bought my HTIII. It is still going for $288 vs their new Max tuner for $379 (not the e-con model) .

Wished I can get the max tuner model strictly to see if that unit can be hacked via PC! I am sure one will be coming soon so you can save your PCM settings on the PC and then re-use the max tuner to retune it again from scratch on another D.

but for the most part, I like to find a program for the PC that can interpret and tweak the PCM settings. Kinda like your own personal custom tuner.

If anyone knows if such a software exist, let me know. I want to capture the PCM settings on a 5.9 SLT+ from a co-worker of mine that is getting this miracalously high fuel mpg at 18-21 mpg and apply those settings to my own D.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

18-21 on the same setup. Holy Crap Batman!!!!

I could only wish we could crack em with the PC.

I'm going to post a link to this threadin the PCM board and see if anyone can help out.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Kensai
Champion

yeah, his rig is basically the same as my R/T except for the cosmetics and a regular PCM vs my tweaked R/T version. I rode with him in his alot and even notice his mpg overhead is showing 16-18 driving in town so up to 21 is definitely possible from his claims.

If I can get my D to get that kinda fuel mileage, I'll gladly give up my wife's jetta that I am driving now and get back into my D for daily driving.

I am sure there must be some setting in the PCM that is different from the rest of the D community with lousy gas mileage. Once we find that answer, I think we may see alot of happy D owners driving their D again.

This solve can possibly apply to RAM's and dakotas with similar hardware as the Durangos.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

So is his an R/T?

Engine, trans, T-case, and year if you got it???????

I think I am going to post something in the Ram/Dakota section on this tune deal today.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up, most tuner heads are going to recomend a SCT setup, i have not searched for any similarities on this site but i know its heavily discussed over a dak/dur forum

Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

guys,

You need to seriously look into the SCT route. I have one, it's amazing. Prior to the SCT tuner I was running a superchips tuner on the 91 octane performance setting.

If you've done much of anything to your Durango the superchips/hypertech tuners are only going to see limited gains. I've modded the TPS, slotted the crank position sensor, ground down the runners on the Keg, run a MSD ignition, a 14X3 round air cleaner, electric fans to replace the stock fan, swapped gears in the back to 4.10s, installed 1.7 ratio roller rockers, run a fastman throttle body, and I can tell you that the SCT tuner was by far the best mod I did.

An SCT tune is a customized flash, kind of like what the B&G PCM flash is, except that you don't have to send in the PCM. Also, it's not "Canned", it can be selectively customized to your engine and will maximise the mods you have added. And better yet, it is upgradeable via an internet connection. I was having an issue with a slight ping at low rpms in overdrive while climbing a hill or on ramp and got an upgraded flash in about 4 hours that fixed it.

The 87 octane program on the SCT tuner produced more power for me than the 91 octane performance setting on the superchips tuner. The 93 octane program blows that out of the water.

The guy I bought mine from is hemifever@aol.com His name is Sean Powell and he works at KRC performance. Very highly recommended!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Kensai
Champion

I went to the SCT site and looked at their products for the Dodge/Chrysler line. It looks nice but I don't think it would get anyextra power when compared to the Hypertech's Max energy line. It may offer better tweaking than my older style HTIII tuner but I think Hypertech's Max line does pretty much the same as the SCT as the HT Max tuner is also updatable.

Being in this 1st generation forum for so long, it seems hypertech is the way to go as far as recommendationsfrom actual owners of them mainly for the 5.2/5.9 family.

Superchips are the only ones availabe for the newbie 4.7 crowd.

But nothing beats a custom mod PCM if your engine is really custom modded! But for the most part, most owners here do not haveserious custommods other than possibly CAI's or bigger TB's.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I agree Kensai,

Most people don't have the mod's like that here.

I've been looking at it and hmmmm I don't see much difference. Although if you had a custom dino machine then you could access the computer via the SCT tuner which is what the total idea here is.

I found a dealer here through the site and am going to talk to him maybe Monday. I want to see how much they charge for the package and to see if they can even do it. If they can then this would be the total way to maximize the performance that I'm looking for, and I could switch between them very easy.

Quick Reply: Computer Tune