1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical GONE CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
theusualsuspect2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical GONE CRAZY!

What is happening with my wifes 2001 Durango? it has the 4.7 v8 and about 100K miles. SO far this truck has been bullet proof but after christmas suddenly headlights dont work. Horn goes beeps by itself. Door locks dont work or lock by themselves. Battery goes dead if parked long. Probably cuz the locks and horn are alive.As far as I can tell the engine runs fine right now. Its like someone of messing with me with a duplicate remote but that wont explain why I have no headlights all of a sudden. Note if I disconnect the battery the lights some times function for a few minutes and then shut down.
HELP!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM
440shadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrical GONE CRAZY!

i am not sure what is causing your problem. but i just had a simaler prob. and it was the security control box, it was located behind the plastic cover by the e-brake handle. it had a motorolla sticker on it. im not sure what it would cost to get a new one cause a new friend of mine fixed it, i think he said he had one just lying around, i'll see if he does and what he wants for it.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you trying to say that the truck has no power because the battery is disconected but the lights will still come on???????

If it were me I'd disconnect the battery and take it to the parts store and have it load tested.

After this and before install of the new or old good battery push the brake peddel in like you are getting your brake lights to come on. Do this for about 10 seconds. Wait for about 1 minute and install the battery. This will reset the computer. Drive it for at least 45 miles and start it about 12 times for a total reset.

Now I don't know if this is your problem but I've seen batterys cause pure hell on electrical items.
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW<---Check all grounding wires and braids, connections, and ect...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the battery.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TUS2001:

#1 Have your battery load tested, and if it is 4 years old or more and shows any signs of flakiness, replace it.

#2 The module that 440 speaks of is the CTM or Central Timing Module. It controls all those functions you are having issues with.

In my case, the door locks would unlock and lock themselves at will. Also, rear wiper would come on by itself as well as the interior lights. Finally, the check gaugesbeep would come on at will.

The remedy is a new CTM. The dealer gets $280 for the CTM, then another hour or so to program it. They will need all of your keyfobs as they will have to be reprogrammed.

Total bill was $480.00

Good luckDon

Quick Reply: Electrical GONE CRAZY!