Changing durango spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing durango spark plugs

Oak:

Have you done the key dance to see what pcode your rig comes up with???? That is such BS when a parts place throws out an answer like that without checking to see what code has triggered the light in the first place.

Start with your ign off, and rock it forward to run (not start), then back to off, forward again, then off, then forward to run again. You will need to perform this entire process in 5 seconds or so.

Then, observe your odometer display and see what pcode it shows.

We can then tell you from there what direction to go.

How many miles on your rig??? Is it running smoothly?? If so, your plugs are probably ok. The OEM Champions are rated by Chrysler for 30k. If you are way beyond that, and they have not been done, time to do them.

Folks will tell you that platinum is a no-no for these motors. My local dealer told me that same thing, and wanted to remove my new platinum plugs to install the OEM junk.

Its ludacristhat by 2001Chrysler had not come up with a better plug than a 30k unit. By that time, both Ford and GM had 100k platinum plugs in service for several years. (I was told that Chrysler owns Champion)

I went back in with the Champion platinum equivalent to the OEM plug which was the RC12PYP.

Ihave 43k on them so far, and the gap is still .040. The OEM units were ready for the scrap bin at 28k.

Don

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
oakaziz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the plugs but I am not sure I had gapped them properly. The check engine light came off, but it is now back on with the same code p 0301 cylinder 1 misfire. I purchased a plug and a gapping tool. Now, is there a way to locate which plug is cylinder1, without pulling all of them?
Thanks for the replies

Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

front of car

drivers side

there ya go, im 99% sure that is the way they are numbered

Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In other words the front drivers side closest to the head light.

It also could be a cap and rotor. Replace with brass contacts only.
Also wires. Use only OEM from the dealer or MSD 8.5mm

Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: DDSXT

As I said, I have Bosch Platinum +2's in my D and haven't noticed any loss of power. If anything it has been improved.

I'll let you know what my MPG is next fuel up.
You are the first person I know of that had luck with Platinum plugs. I personally think that your plugs were so far gone that maybe there might have been some difference.

Jap plugs don't go into American motors PERIOD!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Then again, I think the platinum plugs are good only for the 4.7's as they have newer technology ignition system vs our older traditional wire setup on the 5.2/5.9 setups.

I have not seen any problem with 4.7/5.7 owners using platinum plugs. Only the 5.2/5.9 family owners.

But iridium plugs are the newest type of plugs and they are more expensive than plantiums and last much longer. Love that pencil sharp tip on the irdium plugs.

I have over 20k on them so far, and the plugs still look brand new.

Quick Reply: Changing durango spark plugs