1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replace both camshaft and crankshaft sensor on 2000 Durango 4.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
caoiii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace both camshaft and crankshaft sensor on 2000 Durango 4.7L?

Is it advisable to replace the crankshaft position sensor when replacing the camshaft position sensor on the 2000 4.7L Durango?
Wouldn't start,got trouble code indicating camshaft position sensor problem.I replaced the camshaft sensor and the engine now starts but runs very rough and will not idle without my foot on the accelerator.I have seen a couple of posts that advised changing both of these if one is faulty.
Any reasoning behind this?
Retrieved codes P0340/P0725/P1391 using OBDII scan tool.
Does a bad camshaft sensor cause the crankshaft sensor to malfunction or vice-versus?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Replace both camshaft and crankshaft sensor on 2000 Durango 4.7L?

Cao

Usually a crank sensor either works or does not. They can be intermittant but either the signal is there or not.

How old is your battery?? I would have it load tested, and it its 4 years old or more, or comes back the least bit flakey replace it.

Our Durangos are very sensitive to a failing battery, and will run (or not run) just as you describe.

Don

Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 PM
caoiii

Thanks for the reply,I'll check into that...Vehicle belongs to my sons girfriend. It initially wouldn't start at all.Pulled codes using OBDII scanner and came up with the camshaft sensor code.
Replaced that...now I can get it started but it runs rough and won't idle without me goosing the accelerator pedal.
While researching the problem on this site,Isaw a few comments from other posters that it was a good idea to also change the crankshaft sensor as well.
I thought that because the crankshaft sensor controls the engine timing that possibly if it was "wacked" that it might be screwing up the timing enoughthat would result in the rough running engine and no idle unless you played with the accelerator.
I was wondering why these other poster would recommend changing both sensors. Could a bad or faulty camshaft sensor cause the crankshaft sensor to go bad and throw off the timing enough to screw up the engine from running smooth?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

CAO:

Could be the crank sensor has issues also, but your symptoms are classic indications of battery issues.

The battery is an easier fix, and also easier to eliminate as a cause before youturn to the CPS.

Don

Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 AM
StewartLee

so had intermittant starting replaced camshaft sensor about a year ago seems to have fixed the problem but it now is having same problem before sensor was replaced intermittant starting will just crank but if you wait 10min it will start

Old 09-29-2013, 12:11 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What year and engine? Did you replace the crankshaft sensor too? Disconnect the battery and clean the posts and terminals too.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StewartLee
so had intermittant starting replaced camshaft sensor about a year ago seems to have fixed the problem but it now is having same problem before sensor was replaced intermittant starting will just crank but if you wait 10min it will start

Sounds like the crankshaft sensor is shot... when mine went i could crank for a few seconds it would not fire but if i cranked it for a min or to it would at some point give up and fire...

Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
PublicHair
Banned

I replaced the crankshaft seņor a few months ago. Royal pain in the ***. The 4.7 does have an access port tho. My advice, try to remove it. Odds are you'll break it flush at the block. Get a "eye bolt" with deep threads and screw it in. Use rope or chain and pull like hell from a couple feet away. Lube with something as its a tight fit.

Quick Reply: Replace both camshaft and crankshaft sensor on 2000 Durango 4.7L?