1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

water on passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
duckfart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water on passenger floor board

hi all, my first time here, hope im not beating a dead horse with this subject. I am getting water on the floor boards at random times, summer winter or whenever.
dealer thought it was the heater core ( so did I ) but that did not fix it. any idea's ??

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 PM
jeff66
Rookie
Default RE: water on passenger floor board

if it was the heater core you would smell the coolant, it has a distinctive smell, dealer took you on that. if it's just water i would start with the cowl (heat/ac air intake) on the outside at the bottom of the windshield. water has to drain thru and you probably have leaves, dirt and junk plugging the drains up. Do you park it under a tree? I would remove the cowl, get out whatever junk you can and then I would try flushing it out with a garden hose, just be carefull you don't fill the interior with water.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
jeff66
Rookie

you might even try pulling the blower and see if you have a bunch of junk there too.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

I had a 91 Spirit with a similiar problem, we are going back in time quite a way, and this solution might seem quite strange, but you never know with the design of vehicles these days. I would like to think that the evolution of vehicle design has come a long way but well...... you never know.

Water was building up inside the passengers floorboard approx just forward of the glovebox inboard. Took a few days to figure out but here is what I came up with. Ahornet had lodged himself in the overboard drain tube. This is the tube that goes from the firewall to overboard and is mainly air conditioning condensation water that drains. Well the tube clogged, and water backlogged into the floorboard. Once I figured out the problem I removed the tube, replaced with a simple piece of vacuum hose and went on my way. Due to the possibility of mold, I removed the carpeting, removed the passengers seat and allowed to sun dry for about 12 hours. Since it is apparently plain water, and not coolant I would consider this as a possible starting point. In my case I checked the engine compartment side first, and got lucky with the drain tube. I obviously had to do some cleanup in the passenger compartment but the culprit was removed. Since it was a/c condensation a long summer road trip built up a small swimming pool. As for the blower, I pulled my motor out yesterday real easy only three bolts and it wouldnt hurt to do an inspection of that motor, you never know what you might find, I found a dead hornet and some tree leaves.

I can't guarantee, but I hope this is helps at least for inspection.

Quick Reply: water on passenger floor board