1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What causes the computer to "burn out" or go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Wredheadgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What causes the computer to "burn out" or go bad?

Thanks n8ech, think I'll get the battery tested today before a trip to the dealer. We have had the car for about a year and a half and so its very possible the battery could be ready to be replaced very soon! If I remember right usually an AutoZone or Kragens will test the battery for you?
Thanks again! this site totally rox!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Wredheadgirl

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. I am giving up for the moment and sitting at the Dodge Dealership awaiting my diagnostic!! Will post the results, keep your fingers crossed for something MINOR!! []

Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We will pray for ya! [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beth:

Please do keep us informed on how things come out. Hopefully the cure will be short and sweet.

Don

Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Suess20
Default same issues on a 1998 caravan

Originally Posted by Wredheadgirl
THANK YOU SO MUCH Hydrashocker! The truck has been running almost perfectly except occasionally the idle is way too high and on the other end of the spectrum sometimes when I start the truck I have to give it some gas for a few mins or else it dies. The mechanic I am weary of just replaced that valve and the distributor cap and rotor yet the check engine light is still coming on with the same P0505 code. I am going to call a Dodge Dealership and talk to one of their mechanics to see what they say......or maybe thats just a waste of my time. Not sure what else to do cause I am really thinking this mechanic guy is not as knowledgable if he's telling me the computer is bad after just barely 1 year of being replaced and like you say if the truck starts/runs then its not bad. But thank you so much for your info, I am trying to become more informed about this situation so I can go and discuss this "misdiagnosis" with my mechanic, I refuse to pay for another computer if he didn't fix the original problem. Thanks again!
My 1998 caravan has had the exact same issues. It started with either wanting to stall when coming to a stop, or a slow left hand turn, and needed to get gas. Or revving high the speedometer spiking toward the right for just a moment and then going back to normal. This would usually happen while going down the highway. Then one day it seemed like it was bogged down at 20 miles an hour I felt a putt putt putt putt putt, and it died. When turning the key there is absolutely nothing! I went ahead and replace the engine computer. The Caravan started right up, and made it about five miles then again a Put put put put put, had enough time to put it in reverse and make it about 20 feet backwards, before it died again. Again when turning the key, absolutely nothing. Any clue, any at all, what would cause this computer to go out like this??? I did run the obd2 codes, the only thing that came up, was a plug in the transmission, but did not get plugged in after the transmission was replaced.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by Suess20
My 1998 caravan has had the exact same issues. It started with either wanting to stall when coming to a stop, or a slow left hand turn, and needed to get gas. Or revving high the speedometer spiking toward the right for just a moment and then going back to normal. This would usually happen while going down the highway. Then one day it seemed like it was bogged down at 20 miles an hour I felt a putt putt putt putt putt, and it died. When turning the key there is absolutely nothing! I went ahead and replace the engine computer. The Caravan started right up, and made it about five miles then again a Put put put put put, had enough time to put it in reverse and make it about 20 feet backwards, before it died again. Again when turning the key, absolutely nothing. Any clue, any at all, what would cause this computer to go out like this??? I did run the obd2 codes, the only thing that came up, was a plug in the transmission, but did not get plugged in after the transmission was replaced.
Wow, this is a 6 year old thread you drudged up from the depths. Why not start a new thread and just hyperlink this one as a reference? Plus, you are posting a Caravan related issue in the Durango forum???

And as far as your problem goes, I would lean toward a crankshaft position sensor, but not knowing what code you had or have it is just a shot in the dark, much like your computer replacement.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 year old thread and we are left to hang on the outcome.... Let's just hope she's still not waiting at the dealership... lol

Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 AM
akuser47
Rookie

an easy way to avoid all electrical murphies is to verify chassy gounds rusted grounds are asking for trouble undo and sand them down reattach the grounds then prime over them to seal them thus less chance of them rusting over again and causeing a short.from starter to lights.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM
biggwill272004

Originally Posted by Wredheadgirl
OK well dealer Service guy says to bring to him for $140 diagnostic and that sounds like the other mechanic guy is just "throwing parts" at my truck! So.......what should I do? I feel I might as well bring it to him because the mechanics at the dealerships KNOW the vehicles because they are their vehicles! On the other hand I know dealers can pretty much rape you with their costs.......if anyone has any input I am grateful. Will see what the husband says.........should have taken mechanic classes instead of majoring in Child Development, lol

you can buy a computer at auto zone for just over 400 bucks we have done it twice and are getting ready to do it for a third time I'm gonna have to look into the wiring harness fix that is one of the only things that i haven't thought of

Quick Reply: What causes the computer to "burn out" or go bad?