1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Funky Fuel Gauge Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM
crazy8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky Fuel Gauge Behavior

I've got a 2001 2WD Durango 4.7L 109k mi. and the fuel guage has started acting up. When it first started a few weeks ago it was stuck showing 1/2 full even though it was full tank. Restarting the car made it go back to normal. A couple days ago the guage would not move off it's resting position (below E). This time I needed to restart the car a few times to get it to work properly. See reply for more info..

Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
crazy8
Default RE: Funky Fuel Gauge Behavior

Arggg... Major posting problems.. sorry. Is there a way to tell for sure if it's the sending unit or guage. If it is the sending unit what's involved in replacing it? Does it require droping the tank or is it externally accessable? any special tools or procedures required?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad pump. It has everything in one unit inside the tank so you have to drop it and replace the pump. The tank is plastic so it is light.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
crazy8

Thanks for the info... Any guidance on the level of difficulty?.. Is is something I should be able to figure out once I get into it or is there anything special to know up front. I assume you run it close to empty siphon what else you can out and then carefully drop it. or is there a drain plug or hose that could be used to drain it. .

Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
crazy8

Anything else that needs to be unhooked to clear the way to get access? Sorry about all the questions.. just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I start the job.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Funky Fuel Gauge Behavior