1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

In need of help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Might be a plugged CAT. Have a back pressure test done. Most muffler shops will do this for free.

I would start here first.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
ratzo15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me go back to the beginning, maybe that will help.

I had 4 codes come up on this, one was the power steering pressue switch, the front 02 sensor, engine running lean, and the speed sensor. I took it to my local mechanic who told me that the power steering pressure switch could wait as I still had power steering. He replaced the 02 sensor, plugs, and the speed sensor. I got it back and it ran great for 2 days. After 2 days my check engine light came on again with the power steering swich again and the lean code. After checking on this site and finding out about the oil leaking problem I changed the switch and cleaned all my sensor connectors and the wire harness as best as I could. It then ran good again for about 10 miles then the light and the lean code came back.

I have wondered if the oil is in the wires could it keep the 02 sensor from relaying the correct info to the computer? If so should I replace the wires from the computer to the sensor and get a new sensor? I'm not really comfortable with wiring so I would have to take it somewhere to do that.

As for the running rough, it is idleing really rough, not so much missing but it sure doesn't purr like she should.

The black smoke is full of soot. When you rev the engine soot fills the air and the ground.

It does get up to running temp, I haven't had any issues with temperature. I do have an antifreeze leak which it looks like it is coming out of the firewall. I haven't really been trying to figure that out, I think it is the heater core, I was wanting to get it back on the road before I started that project.

Thanks again
J

Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J:

Lets back up a moment. How old is your battery, and what kind of shape it it in??? I don't recall us conversing about this as of yet.

It has been proven many times that our Durangos are very sensitive to an ailing/dying battery. Get your battery load tested, and if is shows the least bit flaky or is 4 years old or older, replace it.

This could be the source of all your issues sans the leak which you have taken care of.

It is really hard think that you are not getting multiple codes since the engine is running rough.

Don

Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of plugs were installed???????????

Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM
ratzo15

I'm not sure how old the battery is but I will be sure to have it tested.

I am also going to replace both of the 02 sensors AGAIN, and see what happens!

I think it was champion plugs, I can't remember for sure but I do know it is the brand that Dodge recommends.

Thanks
J

Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Ratzo:

Do the battery first before anything else. A bad battery can cause just what you are having and more. Be sure to have it load tested, not just taking a voltage reading.

My bet is that your battery is on the way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
ratzo15

Ok, I replaced both of my o2 sensors and it has been running great for 2 days now. I am just waiting to see if it really fixed it or if my check enginge light will return after a few days. When I took out the old o2 sensors they were covered in black soot almost to the point of being pluged up.

Where do I go to have my battery tested? I want to do that now while it is running good.

Thank you
J

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Ratzo:

Hopefully this takes care of your issues. I think that Auto Zone or Napa can handle the battery test for you.

Don