1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Where is the oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Weatherdemon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the oil going?

2000 Durango, 4.7 liter.

I change the oil every 5-6K miles using Valvoline durablend.

About every 3K miles I notice I am a quart low but I see no smoke, no residue in the exhaust, and no sign of a leak any where under the hood or under the vehicle.

I had a friend look at it who is very engine repair savvy and he couldn't find any signs of a leak either.

All other fluids appear to be the normal color and I am at a lost on where in the world the oil is going.

I haven't had any issues with this engine despite it being at 123K and as long as I montior the oils, it's not really an issue. Just something I would like to know, lol!

Any thoughts from you guys?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD;

Most engines will consume some oil in some form or fashion. A quart over a 3k mile period is not bad at all for an engine with 123k.

My bet is that you have some hardened/leaky valve seals or worn guides allowing a small amount to get into the cylinders to be burned.

Prior experience has shown me that todays cat-convertors are so good at what they do, that burning off even three quarts of oil in a 2500 miles period can be done with little or no tail pipe smoke.

As long as it is not leaking out, and the motor runs good I would just leave it be and make sure the level is where it needs to be.

Don

Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

With the amount of miles you have on your engine, I would say that this is normal oil consumption. I don't know how the engine was ran in its life of miles, but worn parts like, valve guides, piston rings, will cause more oil usage, and not necessarily show blue smoke out the tail pipe.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Digitoxin
With the amount of miles you have on your engine, I would say that this is normal oil consumption. I don't know how the engine was ran in its life of miles, but worn parts like, valve guides, piston rings, will cause more oil usage, and not necessarily show blue smoke out the tail pipe.
That is probably considered normal consumption on a new engine.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
That is probably considered normal consumption on a new engine.
Not likely. I haven"t yet seen newer engines using a quart of oil in 3000 miles. Maybe, just maybe during break-in miles of a new engine, but after break-in , Ive never seen that much consumption.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Digitoxin
Not likely. I haven"t yet seen newer engines using a quart of oil in 3000 miles. Maybe, just maybe during break-in miles of a new engine, but after break-in , Ive never seen that much consumption.
I said considered normal. The manufacturer will have a usage amount that they consider normal. I don't know what Dodge said it should be for that motor.

I do remember reading that Isuzu says that 1 quart per 3000 miles on their Rodeo is "normal" even brand new. (just an example)

Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Weatherdemon

Thanks everyone.

The engine has a about 50/50 city/highway on its milage.

It seems the majority think it's normal for the milage and it runs well so I'm good.

Thanks again for the replies!