1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New to the Durango

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
jaster
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Durango

Hi all, I just got myself a 99 4wd automatic durango and have a few questions. I am semi-new to the whole 4wd thing. I had a jeep with 4wd, but to put it in 4wd I had to stop get out and maunally lock the hubs. how do I work the 4wd on my durango. Do I need to put it in park to shift in and out, should I stop in drive, cruise in neutral, cruise in drive, or just shift it into 4wd while I am cruising along at 35mph, lol. I have never used an in the vehicle 4wd shifter or whatever it's called. I would prefer to learn through advice, not trial and error. Question 2, has anyone tried a vornado, its a small fan looking thing that gets inserted into the air hose and is supposed to improve hp and mpg? Where is a good place to purchase accessories, striping, brushguard, lights, etc.....? Please help. i look forward to helping others as soon as I figure this thing out.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:19 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the Durango

As far as the 4wd, all recent Dodge vehicles have shift on the fly hubs. This means they lock and unlock themselves when you shift into 4wd. If you have a shift lever for 4wd you can shift into 4High at anytime upto 35mph, just let off the gas and pull the lever. If you need to go to 4Low, you must be a complete stop, transmission in neutral then shift to 4Low. Same to go from 4Low to 2H. If you have push button 4wd, its all controlled electronically and it will shift when is conditions are correct.

The vornado...don't waste your money. If you want to spend some cash, opt for a cold air intake.

Quick Reply: New to the Durango