1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

new member looking for help

Old 08-17-2008, 12:55 AM
j&jdurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member looking for help

2000 durango, installed a new evaporator core on sunday the job went well, everything worked fine after install, the system was charged the following thursday morning. friday morning air began to work intermittently, other problems are as follows,power door locks intermittent, (picture this) truck is in park engine idling, air is on max , turn engine off remove keys, engine continues to run until air is switched to off,last problem engine off keys removed push in cigarette lighter and this turns on the stereo. the intermittent air and door locks always occur at the same time.why did everything work fine until it was charged (could the shop that did the recharge had done something that drastic). also the back of the switch that controls air,heat ect. is controlled by vacuum only, how does this ty in electrically to engage compressor.any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! I'll move you to the Durango Section....

Dusty

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
j&jdurango

Thanks Dusty, I thought I did start out in the durango section, Jim

Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the dash was out, obviously you have pinched and crossed up many wires when it went back in.

Take it back to the shop, have them pull it back out and fix it correctly.

Obviously each symptom is a biggie and wiring related. A cig lighter turning on the radio? A engine that runs until you turn off the air, crazy locks, etc. You are in danger of physical damage using a vehicle in that condition. If it doesn't catch on fire and burn up, it may run on after taking the key out running over someone, etc. Stop driving and get it fixed ASAP.

For anyone else reading this... when doing a evap replacement... make sure to replace the heater core and the fan blower at the same time. You do not want to pull the dash out more than once in your lifetime of ownership to fix those things. Trust me.

IndyDurango

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new member looking for help