1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i think when he siad he hears zip he meant nothing zip as in zero nada it failed to make noise
DOH!

I'll second hydra's suggestion as well.

Last edited by Mean Green; 10-19-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM
mikegrasso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no noise

Thanks for your time fellas, I have no noise from the tank when the key is turned, I have switched around a few of the fuses….nuttin, is it time for a pump? thanks again

Old 10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by datacop
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but have you done a scan for codes on your truck? The only reason I ask is my 2000 behaved exactly the same way earlier this week... turns out the crank sensor threw a code and prevented it from starting...
This is the type of problem that cvan be ruled out by trying a relay swap or fuse.

If ya just want to drop it I think you might be in the right with the kinda mileage ya got there anyway.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

"Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but have you done a scan for codes on your truck? The only reason I ask is my 2000 behaved exactly the same way earlier this week... turns out the crank sensor threw a code and prevented it from starting..."

I can second the remote possibility of a crank sensor, but if your fuel pump is not priming then I would go with extreme remote chance. I did have a crank sensor go out, different vehicle but still in the C/D/J-benz Family. (98 Cherokee Classic with 4.0) In my case the M.I.L. did not throw any codes, it was more of a lucky guess after eliminating suspected parts. I know it is not normal procedure but in my case I guess I got lucky. If I remember in my case the pump was priming and crank but no start.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

This could also be the problem (crank shaft sensor) but I would rule out the fuel pump first by completing the mentioned steps.

The crank shaft sensor is located under the distributor cap on the 5.9L and 5.2L.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM
mikegrasso
Default it's pump time

gotta get a pump in there, probably wouldn't be the first time I replaced a perfectly good working part! i'll keep ya posted and thanks much for all your time here, mike

Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
datacop
Rookie

I would agree with making sure the fuel pump is working as it should first..

I was just relaying an experience I had with mine. The funny thing is.. while my truck was sitting in the parking lot where it died, it would not fire at all.. would crank for days, but not fire.

After the roll-back driver got there, hooked it up, carried it to the local car-x and got it down.. the car-x guy jumped in, turned the key and drove it into the service bay.

I think she was just tired and wanted a piggy back ride home.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
mikegrasso
Default bad karma

so i'm armed with my after market fuel pump via the internet, saved around $175 in the process, started getting out my gear, i intentionally fall to the ground in a push up position to take a peek underneath the rear of the truck, i hear a snap! i dislocated my shoulder in my drop to the ground, intense pain and a 4 hour wait in the emergency followed. on lortabs and confined to a chair for awhile now, damn, when it's going bad, it's just going bad fellas..... i will let you know how this truck ends up when i can move my arm enough to actually put this pump in... mike

Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

WOW! Holy sheat!

Been there with two R-shoulder surgurys so I know how you feel. I bet I know what words came out of you mouth......LOL

Hope ya feel better

Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a bad left shoulder but it doesn't really put me out like that when I pop it out anymore. I've dislocated it too many times. Hope it gets better quickly for ya.

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango Won't Start