1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CODE: P0340 & P1391 - CMP/CKP Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 PM
datacop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CODE: P0340 & P1391 - CMP/CKP Location

Judging from the engine code list (thanks BTW hydra) I see that I'm throwing a Cam Position and / or Crank position sensor errors.

I've already got a new crank position sensor on my tool chest waiting for install.. and will pickup a cam position sensor tomorrow...

However, my chilton's book, being the all-inclusive-piece-of-crap that it is, doesn't really tell me where these two besties are located...

Can anyone tell me where to find them on my 2000 D 4.7? Pictures would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
datacop
Rookie

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 4.7L V-8 ENGINE
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is located at the right-rear side of the engine cylinder block and is positioned and bolted into a machined hole.

REMOVAL
  1. Disconnect CKP electrical connector at sensor.
  2. Remove CKP mounting bolt
  3. Carefully pry sensor from cylinder block in a rocking action with two small screwdrivers.
  4. Remove sensor from vehicle.
  5. Check condition of sensor o-ring.

Note: You may find yourself in a situation where the crankshaft sensor is seized in the block and removal seems impossible. Here are the steps I took to get my seized sensor out
  1. Raise the front end of the vehicle in the air and secure it with proper jack stands
  2. Remove the front passenger tire
  3. Have an assistant "grab" a hold of the sensor with pliers through the notch in the wheel well liner, being careful not to "squeeze" to hard as to break the plastic.
  4. While your assistant applies removal pressure to the sensor (taking note to pull straight back and not rock), use a screwdriver from underneath the vehicle to rock the sensor back and forth
  5. Eventually, with the combination of removal pressure from your assistant, and the rocking of the sensor with the screwdriver, the sensor will "walk" out of the machine hole.

INSTALLATION
  1. Clean out machined hole in engine block.
  2. Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor o-ring.
  3. Install sensor into engine block with a slight rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to o-ring may result. CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder block. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
  4. Install mounting bolt and tighten to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
  5. Connect electrical connector to sensor.

---

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 4.7L ENGINE
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.7L V - 8 engine is bolted to the front/top of the right cylinder head

REMOVAL
  1. Remove the air box on the right side of the engine (the air box holds the air filter)
  2. Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor
  3. Remove sensor mounting bolt
  4. Carefully pry sensor from cylinder head in a rocking action with two small screwdrivers.
  5. Check condition of sensor o-ring.

INSTALLATION
  1. Clean out machined hole in cylinder head.
  2. Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor o-ring.
  3. Install sensor into cylinder head with a slight rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to o-ring may result CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder head. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
  4. Install mounting bolt and tighten to 12 N·m (106 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Connect electrical connector to sensor.

Last edited by datacop; 10-31-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ohhhhhh yea ^ that's it!......LOL

Thanks for the explanation of the 4.7L crankshaft location and also the 4.7L camshaft position sensor location...... I find it sucks when you answer your own questions doesn't it?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
datacop
Rookie

Naw.. not really...

I didn't want to leave it hanging out there un-answered on the off chance that someone else goes to search for the location for those damn things and can't find it. My chilton book goes into great detail on how to find it for every single other engine out there except the 4.7.. where it simply says "locate the sensor and replace it".

I've not done the repair yet.. But when I do I'll make sure and take some pictures and post them as well so that we have a visual to go along with the text explanation.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Cool,

I'll put them into the DIY writeups on the top of the threads. Just PM me or Kensai when you have them.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM
datacop
Rookie

I'm in the middle of doing this repair.. the cam position sensor was replaced easily.. I'm talking really in & out (once I realized where it was)..

However, the crank position sensor is seized in the block. It can rotate, but it won't come out... no matter how much I swear or throw tools...

anyone have any words of wisdom, bits of advice, or thoughts and prayers that would give me a clue as to how to take it out?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I find wiskey helps....If ya can't get it out at least you can tie one on.

Looks like after a bolt it pulls out. Look at the replacement.

Attached Thumbnails CODE: P0340 & P1391 - CMP/CKP Location-getimage.jpg  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM
datacop
Rookie

I have the replacement in my hands now... the problem is I've got 100k on my block and the thing has never been out.. so apparently, rust has formed on the outside of the o-ring seizing the sensor in place.

What I'm worried about is braking the thing off with half of it still inside the block

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try getting some PB blaster on that thing man. It does wonders if it soaks in thoroughly.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
datacop
Rookie

I sprayed some on it last night to try and let it soak.. I don't much care of the old sensor gets ruined since it's already slated to be replaced...

was just looking to see if there was more that I could do other than throw chemicals and insults at it.

Quick Reply: CODE: P0340 & P1391 - CMP/CKP Location