1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need your help on TOTM!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean Green
Gnome in my cookies? That rat bastard! He got to the cupcakes too. I chased him into the oven and now I'm making more cookies. >:-)

No need to sell the D. I know you want to do a write up on a 5.9 swap (the diesel flavor). I would love to do that just because.
lol jonnymagnum from the 2nd gen section is diong a cummins 4 swap on his truck he will have to do a write up when its done or we will all be hunting him down

Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to sell the D. I know you want to do a write up on a 5.9 swap (the diesel flavor). I would love to do that just because.
Would of, and could of been sweet -cry- but Ny has nice regulations on us here. I wont begin to tell you howwww easy it is to drop in a ctd in.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the EASY part be pushing the firewall back? I know all about their regs I lived in The Bronx for 2 years. I had to go to PA just to find a legal place to offroad.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Would the EASY part be pushing the firewall back? I know all about their regs I lived in The Bronx for 2 years. I had to go to PA just to find a legal place to offroad.
Actually we tested this with the body off the D. With a few modifications and a few inches forward you dont have to cut the body at all. But the kicker is youve got to throw out the ifs because it wouldnt be nothing but a pain to make it work with the mount system. Then again if your putting a Diesel in the beast, no use for weak components so a sas would be welcome.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Damn straight. I think I'll have to fly you out when my dreams can become a reality. Since you did the mock up can you tell me more about it? Would there be any component in my drivetrain that could be used? I know I wouldn't need to go with a lower gear ratio with a diesel but do you think the gears would even hold up? I have the 3.55's. Hell If I could do all of this I could turn around and get a Dak to drop the 360 in.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think we are in some part changing here. IDT the drive train is going to hold up period. The 46-RE is the closest thing to hold up on the trans if beefed up like mine but IDK about the rear end and all other components or transfer case. My trans is built to handle up to 550 horses but IDK about the torque. I think it would hold up tho.

Still with that kinda power I think the parts would bend into pretzels.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Mean Green
Champion

That was kinda my thought as well. I figure If I found a couple wrecked rams I could do something.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ooo i smell a DIY write up coming from mean

Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Couldnt post with my other pc yesterday, gotta love getting prompted to sign in every time you try to post (my dumbass signed in 4 times before pissing on the keyboard with a middle finger in the air standing the chair)
When we fooled around we did'nt massage any metal or cut any supports (the D was just frame off for some modification and not swap) so i couldnt tell you exactly what would be needed. The most clear obstacles shown were the ifs and rear trans member, but the trans member is a simple cut and drop or however you chose (lowered/offroad). When you come to putting the engine/transmission your biggest deal i'd say would be to make your driveline and engine straight as an arrow aligned, its the most important.. Also dont play shadtree mech and go mixin components up.When i look into something like a transplant the last thing i'd do would be to swap and integrate components, so it would be a complete (engine/trans) drop in keeping at most the 9 1/4 rear. The D is made pretty tough and the boxed frame can hold plenty of power but you could always throw in a couple more hundred pounds of steel if your looking into above 1100 lbs of torque
I never encourage getting adapters or "this" machined to work for "that", iv'e seen too many idiots break stuff then cry, i cant help but laugh as i go to autozone because i kept it simple. The D trans can be adapted but lets face it, the d aint designed for a cummins let alone its own 360.
Also if you want to keep it low budget, DONT plan on using your own gauges/comp/wiring. It aint happenin for cheap.. Everything thats in the donor, gotta go in your D, unless you plan on making yourself a hefty bill and loooong project. I cant think of the year/engine but a few guys from diesel bombers spoke about an engine with like 8 connections for a swap, pretty much a standalone ign. Doubt it would be as powerfull as the newer engines but it would be the easiest.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Well I know that the rams from around the same year were using the same interior so I would imagine that their gauges and much of the interior electrical would be the same but yeah I was kinda thinking the swap would be a complete overhaul of the D. I just need to learn to weld...

Quick Reply: Need your help on TOTM!