1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vehicle hesitates few minutes after starting in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
ritzlimo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle hesitates few minutes after starting in cold weather

I have a 2001 Durango R/T with factory installed cold air induction and K&N filter. The vehicle has about 70,000 miles on it.

When cold weather comes around I have a hesitation problem. I start the vehicle and then when I am on the road for a few minutes, it starts to hesitate, lose power and backfire. This goes on for about 30 seconds or so and then it's fine. Its runs perfect from that point forward. My gas milage has not dropped any and it does not happen in the summer.

Every time I shut the vehicle off and start it again, even if it is for a short period and it's still warmed up, it does this.

When I use my auto start and let the vehicle warm up for 10 minutes or so before entering and taking off, it's never an issue.

I have recenly cleaned the K&N filter per factor instructions, thinking that might have been the problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever cleaned the IAC solenoid?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ritzlimo
I have a 2001 Durango R/T with factory installed cold air induction and K&N filter. The vehicle has about 70,000 miles on it.

When cold weather comes around I have a hesitation problem. I start the vehicle and then when I am on the road for a few minutes, it starts to hesitate, lose power and backfire. This goes on for about 30 seconds or so and then it's fine. Its runs perfect from that point forward. My gas milage has not dropped any and it does not happen in the summer.

Every time I shut the vehicle off and start it again, even if it is for a short period and it's still warmed up, it does this.

When I use my auto start and let the vehicle warm up for 10 minutes or so before entering and taking off, it's never an issue.

I have recenly cleaned the K&N filter per factor instructions, thinking that might have been the problem.

Try this... When the vehicle act's up again (of course while parked running) disconnect the tps........

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM
DRO318
Captain

what will that do????

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRO318
what will that do????
haha i dunno, i think i need glasses...

But now that i can see lets start off with the easy stuff, being that it will hesitate/loose power/backfire i'd first check out the gas cap (when its running crappy open and listen for air lock) then check the gas (water/contamination) by tossing in a full tank with some drygas, afterwards check the plugs/wires/cap/coil. If no arise then it'd be time to be checking into the fun stuff.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Good call on the drygas. Now that I think about it since it's getting cold out keep your gas tank full as much as possible. When you park overnight condensation will form on the sides of the tank and will drop into the fuel. That will give you the issues you are describing. Just think of your gas tank like a frosty mug of beer with all of that condensation forming on the side of the glass. And Duranged you stay away from that frosty mug so that you can read the posts properly. I know it wasn't your lack of glasses that had you reading posts improperly, it was the fact that the beer goggles were still on from last night.

I actually had this issue in a truck I was driving WAAAAYYYYY back in the day. I went to the cheapest gas station in town and found out why they were so cheap shortly after driving out of there. I was backfiring and missing for about 20 seconds which I chalked up to water in their tanks.

Last edited by Mean Green; 12-02-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Vehicle hesitates few minutes after starting in cold weather