1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problems

I have a bit of a tire wear problem with my 1999 Durango. It had some pretty massive inner tire wear and the tires had to be replaced... The outer and rear tires were fine... But I went with some BFG TA KO's and don't want to mess them up.

While I was changing the brakes yesterday, I decided to do the wiggle test on the wheels...

My ball joints are good it seems, but am going to replace them anyways. Got almost 100k miles on them and haven't been changed yet... However, the tie rods had a *small* amount of play. Mostly on the outer and some on the inner, but when the play in those stopped, the wheel kept moving, along with the tie rods and what not, ending with a VERY loud and sudden clank. No the steering wheel did not move the whole time. I had a good 2 1/2 - 3 inches of play in the wheel and only 1 inch or so was the tie rods.... Lucky me, the power went out when I was doing the brakes so I wasn't able to see much. What could I need and how much should it run for parts?

I don't feel like jacking the vehicle back up. I'm a disabled vet and can hardly change the brakes without giving out... So I won't jack it up and check unless something needs to be done... So far I am going to order the tie rods, but don't know what else I need to do... I am new to the ball valve steering... I'm a rack and pinion type of guy... So that tells ya this is a 4X4 we're talking about!

Is all that is left the pitman arm, idler arm and steering box? What is the difference between the two arms?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have a hard time doing the work I would suggest taking the D to a firestone for an alignment. They will not charge for the inspection they do before the alignment and will not do the alignment if something needs to be replaced so it's basically a free diagnosis. They will let you know what needs to be done at that point and you can do it yourself or have them do it (for an arm and a leg ).

Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thing is, since I have very limited income because of the disabilities, I cannot afford anyone else to do work... It's going to take me two months just to save to get the parts... AT LEAST! God, times suck right now... If I had a job, wouldn't be a problem... But a disability check ain't cutting it... I'll do the diagnosis thing though! They won't do a free one just because?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, but they won't align it if there is a problem. Just to be safe check them out in your area on the net to make sure they are on the up and up. The one I have here is great. When I was there for an alignment someone else had come in for one as well. He was in front of me ready to pay and they told him his alignment was perfect when he brought it in so since they didn't do an alignment they didn't charge him.

As a side note thank you for your service to our great nation.

Quick Reply: Steering problems