1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

no rear heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
dahalican
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no rear heat

01 Durango R/T

Heat up front works great, but i get no heat in the rear for the kids. I get cold air blowing out. Tried the controls to switch it to work on the front and nothing changes. Also used the rear controls and same temp air comes out. Has anyone had this problem? What can i do to fix this?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you hear the blend door moving?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
dahalican

no i don't think so. where is the door located?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 AM
BigBark
Default Same problem --Fixed it

I had this same issue on my 2001 -- Ironically, I worked on it yesterday!

I pulled the right-rear inner panel off (next to the third-row seat) and under it was the rear heater/A/C unit. THere are two electric actuators, one that rotates the door that switches between the upper vents and the floor vent. This one worked fine.

THe other one, however, is the one that actuates between the rear heater core and the rear A/C evaporator core. THe actuator connects to a white 'dowel', which then protrudes into the ductwork to connect to the blend door.
THe dowel has a 'tang' protrusion on it. This 'tang' moves between two stops that are cast into the plastic cover. This prevents over-rotation of the actuator and door, since the door only needs to rotate about 60 or so degrees to switch between full heat and full cool.

My issue, and I suspect it is your issue as well, was obvious as soon as I looked at the dowel. The 'tang' was broken off, and the actuator over-rotated. When I opened the duct casing, I also found that when the door hit it's stops, the dowel cracked the door connection point due to the stress of overrotation.

The correct fix would be a new door and new dowel. However, since my truck was in pieces and I'm guessing it'll be weeks before a dealer can get me those parts, I was able to 'cob' it back together by fashoning a new 'tang' on the dowel, and by using epoxy to put the door connection back together. It won't last forever, but it will hopefully last until spring when it's warmer here in NY, and I have the parts.

Research on the web has revealed others have had this same issue, which is why I suspect you do too. Sorry for the long winded message, hopefully this helps a bit!
-Dan

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info there Big. There's your answer Dahalican.

BTW for some bling bling rims those look pretty good on the D (I hate most rims on D's they just look better lifted). Definitely a good fit though!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
dahalican

thanks big and mean green. i'm going to work on it today so the kids have some heat in the back.

Quick Reply: no rear heat