1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Rear End Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
rmmcginty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Durango front differential exploded

I was driving on the grand central pkwy in NYC last weekend with my three kids in the car when my 2000 4wd dodge durango made a few strange noises, I thought it was the transmsion slipping so I pulled over at a service station and checked the fluid level it was perfect, I continued on and about 2 miles when the front differential casing blew apart! When this happened the front drive shaft was still connected to part of the front differential casing and spider gear, since i was traveling at speed it wipped around under the car cracking the oil pan and transmition pan, the rest of the differential houseing fell down and the rubber boots of both half shafts tore. Total nightmare. I got it towed to a Dodge dealership where they gave me a price of $3,900 to fix it. not worth putting that kind of money into the car as it has 107,00 miles on it. Also wasw told at dodge they never before had seen such a thing happen before, I'm just lucky i guess. long story even longer I got the parts from a salvage yard. front differential $200 front drive shaft $50 rebuilt half shafts $75 a pice. picked up the parts today going to start fixing it this week. will keep you posted...

Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what ever happend to the OP and his rig... did he get it fixed? was there anymore damage other than the rear axle?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes now I am curious too... Because I grew up on Guam!!! Everyone drives their Acuras and Hondas (big import tuner scene obviously being so close to Japan) and barely any Fords or Dodges. I know how hard it is to get some things as shipping is pricey, even for it being a U.S. territory and all! Boy do I miss home!

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Rear End Exploded