1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP - Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chequita68
Honestly, I can't really tell where the noise is coming from. I open my windows to try and hear it but the outside noise drowns it out. Keep in mind I am just a girl and not mechanical savvy. I can hear it better when the windows are closed and I have to have the radio turned down. It's not very loud.
Well for me when it comes to a noise in a vehicle I don't try to hear it I try to feel it. Dunno if that makes any sense to you or not but that works sometimes for the hard to narrow down noises. Without really having an area to narrow it down suggestions can be from tires to the transmission. If it really bothers you that bad perhaps have a master tech ride along with you to help diag the issue. another suggestion could be low fluids in the differentials or even the transfer case. Sounds like you know a little about car and truck repair and this is something you could change yourself and save $$.. If you do change the fluids in the differentials and transfer case use mobile 1 75W-90 for the for the differentials (add a friction modifier as well) and ATF+4 the transfer case. If you have not done this or think you truck differentials fluid has been changed in the past 60,000/48 months and transfer case 37,000/30 month you may want to do this anyways. (Haynes 1-22 and 1-30 and transfer case 1-22 and 1-27) You may get luck and find out that you are just low on fluid

Oh by the way I am glad you taken the initiative to learn a little about your vehicle, something most girls just don't do.

Last edited by schusterjo; 03-06-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
chequita68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the rpm;s are not high when I hear the sound. And I believe it's a 4x2 and it is on 2wd

Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
chequita68

I just made an appointment for a tech to drive with me tomor morning. He also mentioned the differential. I have an extended warranty on the transmission... would the diff be covered? I try to learn alil about my vehicle but as far has fixing things myself, nope not gonna happen. Lol. Still a girly girl. I just don't want a shop telling me just anything.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
chequita68

I went with the tech for a ride and before he got in the car he looked and touched my tires. He didn't say it was the tires until we went for the ride and heard what I was hearing. He said it was the tires and had me touch them to see how the tread is "feathering". He said that happens with the bigger tires ppl but on their cars/trucks. I made sure to ask him that it most deff was not the differential. He ruled it out and I do trust their opinion because when my rear end went on my Grand Cherokee, this is the same shop that went for a ride with me and told me what it was. I feel they know their stuff. I'm still going to pay attention to it and see if there is any change... but for now, I believe it is the tires.

Thanks to all that have replied. :-)

Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
goodtimez

noise coming from my transfer box it sounds like mardles when im driving when i shift it too 4x4 it stops

Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
goodtimez
Default noise from transfer box

noise coming from my transfer box it sounds like marbles when im driving when i shift it too 4x4 it stops.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by goodtimez
noise coming from my transfer box it sounds like marbles when im driving when i shift it too 4x4 it stops.
Marbles in a coffee can? More noticeable when accelerating than coasting? Check the front drive shaft.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Btw, this was a really old post. Start a new one next time.

Quick Reply: HELP - Noise