1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

hard shifting with engine oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We understand that you are talking about the changing of the engine lubricant and it changes the transmission shifts.

We are just weeding through possible problems so don't worry.

I want you to replace the Transmission Output Sensor. The dealer is the best choice and it is about $40 bucks I think.

This sounds like a Torque Management issue that is being charged by inputs from the motor. Basically the motor is running smoother causing the torque converter outputs not to time out right and together with the engine running smoother you really feel it. I don't think this is a vacuum issue but rather a electrical function. Vacuum you could hear surging of engine and codes to be thrown.

The other thing it could be is a TPS sensor or the kick down on the trans cable that comes off the TB is out of adjustment or worn or dry rubbing. Thing is a slight change can cause differences. But again I think this is the PCM over compensating for a faulty input because of engine performance.

After installing a transmission output sensor I would have the trans fluid changed with ATF+4 ONLY and have the bands adjusted for wear.

Question is have you had any speedo problems or ABS light problems then a Rear ABS sensor on the top of the rear axel could be going out but you haven't talked about anything like that.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
stanger45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, sounds good i will give it a try and get back to you and let you know. thank you to everyone for the help.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is located on the drivers side about mid section. A little fluid will come out so watch out. It's an easy fix.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
20durango00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the trans. sensor is suspect. I had to change out the one in our 2000 Durango due to shifting problems like yours. Perhaps you are jacking up the front end and sludge or something is moving rearward and inhibiting the sensor from doing its job. Just a guess, good luck.

Quick Reply: hard shifting with engine oil change