1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I didn't know my Durango liked being filled with Mocha, also note to self....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't know my Durango liked being filled with Mocha, also note to self....

Went to change my rear differential fluid today... Took a bit longer than I had imagined it would... About and hour and a half, just because I had no air tools or anything... Just taking my sweet time... But, after I cracked the housing cover off, it was VERY thin, VERY mocha colored and NOT VERY see through like I had thought... This stuff had to be in there a LONG time... I mean, it flowed like water, there was no viscosity to it at all it seemed... I am happy I got it done when I did! Everything looked fine on the inside...

And note to self... Gasket remover is also a skin remover... When I did my water pump and used it, it didn't seem to burn too much... But when I sprayed the housing cover, MAN IT BURNED! Oh well... Chemical burns are fun!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

When you say mocha=did it look airated?=put some in a glass jar and see if water settles out-if it does=have ya been wheelin in the mud and water recently? If you have check the vent valve on the diffs=they have a rubber hose on most of them and a valve at the end=supposed to keep water out of the axle fluid...Or maybe ya just parked ya rig in a pond too long-lol
And by the way that gasket remover is probably lye based like drain opener=I believe it's sodium hydroxide based so if ya wanna neutralize it fast use lemon juice or white vinegar=soap won't help since it's also a base-only a acid can neutralize a base and vice versa...

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-31-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

It didn't look aerated at all... The D has been sitting for three days before I even touched the thing so it would have had plenty of time to do it's separation... It was fairly consistent also... I am thinking it was like that QUITE a while... There were no burn marks or strange markings on the gears at all... I am not too sure at all... After the initial test drive, the rear end is MUCH more quiet... I cannot wait to do the front diff and transfer case...

Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

The new fluid=did you have to add the limited slip additive or was it already in the new fluid?I think dodge has a limited slip additive you have to buy from the dealer..

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

I have the corp rear... No Limited slip...

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The old fluid could have been Fully Synthetic and it would run like water even worn.

Hope you put in Fully Synthetic in. I really like Mobil One.

Mocha colored is worn fluid.

Quick Reply: I didn't know my Durango liked being filled with Mocha, also note to self....