1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS/Brake light on and off

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
whirlybird01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS/Brake light on and off

This has been an issue since I bought the 2003 Durango new. It started when hitting a big bump. Both ABS and Brake light come on. Coming to a stop, shutting off the engine and restarting always clears it...but never know for how long. Lately it has been tripped especially when it has sat for 10 or more hours in 40 degree or less weather. I bought the ODB II tester, but it never sets a code that can be caught....dealer has same issue. The big bump situation is much less serious than the cold weather.
Had concluded that it is likely a wire or wire connector, but don't know where to start checking. Are there other components I should be checking (and for what) when I am down there?
Also, anyone changed a thermostat on the small V-8. The housing is on the block and feeding the lower radiator hose. Special parts or precautions needed to do the task?
Thanks for the knowledge

Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the rear axle on top is the ABS sensor. You need to check the connector and the wiring to see if it making good contact or a wire grounding out. If you don't find anything there then I would replace the sensor, very common for these sensors to go bad.

Far as replacing the thermostat, no special tools or parts.. Just a few choice words and perhaps a few nicks out of the skin. When choosing a thermostat it is a good choice to get it from the dealer, if not you need to make sure the one you have has a bleed valve. If you look at the pic below you will see a small hole on the outer edge, This allows for the system to "burp" and no air bubbles will form. Not all after market thermostats will have this hole and has been know to cause people troubles.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.6 KB

Last edited by schusterjo; 04-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What motor are we working on.

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake light on and off