1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

overdrive problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
natenwman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive problem?

Is it possible for my overdrive button to be mixed up(the dash says its off but its on and vice versa)? I have noticed my rpms are higher than usual when shifting between gears. Usually it shifts at about 2000-2200 but its been shifting lately at about 2700-2900. Also when i push the overdrive button, the rpms surge and then go lower than they were originally when usually the rpms increase. Ive taken notice to this for the fact that my gas mileage has been really bad lately. Any ideas whats going on?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally its not possible for OD to be mixed up in cycles, i think your issue has more transmission show than OD. I'd suggest getting the filter/trans fluid changed also if the right transmission bands adjusted.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What you are hearing is the torque convertor going into lockup and coming out of lock up. This is a fuel saving idea. Basicly when you are traveling down the road and let off the gas the trany comes out of lockup it coasts to save fuel so the motor dosen't retard.

Anyway sounds like the TPS is on it's way out. If there is any other question you need to have the transmission serviced with a adjustment and fluid & filter.

Quick Reply: overdrive problem?