DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   46RE tranny (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/201984-46re-tranny.html)

Kensai 06-13-2009 05:17 PM

The fluid level is checked in neutral. Tranny used about 4.75 quarts. This is my 3rd time changing the fluids and I found my previous part receipts and each time, I purchased 5 quarts and barely have any leftover on last bottle when changing fluids with tranny filter kit.

lv360ram 06-13-2009 06:11 PM

Some people don't know to check the fluid level in N. The 46RE doesn't pump thru the cooler and TQ in park but it does in N. I don't know of any other brand that checks in N, Dodge had to be different I guess. If the level is checked in P it will be higher than N.

Tavis Evans 11-22-2023 11:51 PM

Wondering if it'd be the same for a freshly rebuilt transmission

Originally Posted by hydrashocker (Post 1683147)
Service manual says dry fill 9.5 quarts minus and cooler lines and coolers. Transmission only on the 46RE.

When you drop the filter it pours out the valve body. Thinking if you minus the T/C and lines/coolers maybe 6 quarts?

I was wondering if it'd be 9.5 quarts for a freshly rebuilt transmission

HeyYou 11-23-2023 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans (Post 3577304)

For the initial fill, quite likely. Expect it'll take more than that to completely fill though.

volaredon 12-17-2023 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kensai (Post 1702153)
I just want to confirm to everyone out there on how much tranny oil to use depending on what type of service you choose.

So the info that Magic posted is correct. I just had my Durango serviced today in preparation for my 12 hour trip from DFW to Denver. If you are just doing a basic fluid change with tranny filter kit, on my 46RE, it is just over 4 quarts. If you are doing a full flush including draining the torque converter, then you need to do the full 8-9 quarts for a 46RE tranny. So far so good, replaced the fluid after putting in 5k miles and the tranny shifts alot smoother now since I got the fastman tranny installed.

Now I am going to return my leftover unopened 5 quarts of oil back to Walmart.

Keep it. You'll use it.

volaredon 12-17-2023 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans (Post 3577304)

Last time I swapped tranny's in the Durango it took a whole case of 12 (actually I think it wound up at 11-1/2) with the 46re.

James Vining 12-20-2023 03:30 AM

YA but you are swapping out a tranny so you are having to fill the TQ etc. when changing (Unless you have a drain plug in TQ) the only fluid that is drained is what is in the actual pan all the other areas Like servo piston prior mentioned TQ etc will still have fluid in them I see 4 Quarts listed in my Manual as well I will look at the Dodge Service manual and see if it shows anything different.
Wow the way they say to refill the tranny is strange so I will not bother anyone with that info.
But as far as amounts they still show a rebuilt tranny or one with a replaced TQ requires quite a bit more fluid then one where all you did was drain it and replace the filter ( the filter in this does not hold a significant amount of fluid (the ones with the screw on canister style could hold I suppose a Pint extra)