1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
sassyfrass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation power window problem

The power windows (all four) on my 2000 durango stopped working. It happened all at the same time so I thought it would be a fuse or relay. However the power locks on the same control module still work????? I need any suggestions as to which circuit breakers,fuses,relays to check or suggestions as to other causes. The other 3 windows cannot be rolled down by the individual switches either. I just know its hot and this is frustrating so any ideas would be great!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
fastyz400
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most likely the control switches on the driver side went out. If, fuses were fine then it would be the switch module, driver door.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most common fix to this is to reseat the wiring harness to the master console on driver door. There are several harnesses so reseat all of them. May want to inspect the harness to make sure there is no deterioation due to moisture or external environments. Highly recommend to get some electrical grease and grease the socket connections if you see any signs of wear.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
sassyfrass
Exclamation

Here is some more info... I tested all of the fuses on the inside panel and they were all fine. However i noticed there was not a circuit breaker in slot 20 or 21. According to the schematics book 20 should be the power windows. When I put a replacement in it started making a clicking noise and became very hot. After further reading a different wiring diagram showed 21 as being for the power windows so I removed the circuit breaker from the 20 slot to the 21 slot with no outcome I have taken the door panel off and there seems to be power going to the switch on the drivers side door and the power locks which are on the same controller still work. When it first happened I was driving down the road at night and all of my interior lights dimmed almost like a power surge then were fine. I thought that was weird but didn't notice anything wrong. The next day I went to roll down the windows and that was when I discovered they didn't work. I thought it sounded like an electrical problem but have had no luck. I will try to reseat the harnesses but am unsure as to what these are and how to do it. I am pretty capable with instructions and/or diagrams if anyone can help. I love my durango but today it felt like a hot little death box on my way to work somebody please help!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like the circuit breaker is clicking under load and the fuse is heating from the amps. You have a bad motor or a shorted wire. Some how there is a leg that is pulling the voltage.

Disconnect each leg one at a time and power it to see if you can figure out which one it is. Using a multimeter you should find which one it is drawing the current.

Here is a service manual on the power window systems for your rig in PDF that I attached. You will need to check the fuse schematics on the back of the door on the back of the fuse panel door to ensure the right number.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08S_Power Window Systems.pdf (30.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 PM
sassyfrass

Thanks for the great info it will be super helpful!!! Hopefully I can try this tomorrow morning and it will work

Quick Reply: power window problem