1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

MIL light on & Speed Dropping question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 PM
phobicsquirrel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL light on & Speed Dropping question

Hello! I'm a new member who has recently been looking around here for answers for my new problem and might have an idea on what is going on but wasn't completely sure so I thought I'd ask. I have a 2001 durango (automatic trans) and while my wife and I were on a trip the MIL light came on after a while when driving on cruise control the tac went up all of a sudden and the car acted like it was down-shifting and it dropped from 75 to 70 shuddering very badly. When I pushed on the gas I went back up in speed but the tac would push back up and the car would shake and continue to have the same problems. After a while the problem went away with very minor issues but comes and goes. Even when starting to drive while accelerating the problem will happen but it clears up quickly. Today the MIL light went off and it seems to be driving okay but I know something's up. So after looking around here I think I may have found my issue but please if I missed anything please let me know.
-Change the Output speed sensor (located back of the transmission)
-Possibly change the speed sensor on the back axil (that's were it is right) (is this the same as the rear differential speed sensor?)
-Change the Throttle Position Sensor (tps)

-Anything I am missing, or anyone of these the main culprit Or is my tranny fubar'd?

I'm no expert on cars and am in fact learning a lot while doing my own maintenance. While looking over the engine bay I noticed that a lot of wires have numbers on them, are those numbers referring to certain parts? I think there are 1-10 or something. Anyway I thank you people for looking and writing up such great how too's on the DIY thread.

Last edited by phobicsquirrel; 06-01-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum phoby,

You pretty much got the sensors covered. There is a sensor next to the rear tranny and a sensor on the rear axle. These two sensors can basicall work together so I always recommend, if you change one, go ahead and change the other while you are under the truck. TPS sensor is an easy change out. I think I wrote up the DIY on replacing the TPS. Also, if your mpg's and power are sluggish, changing out the map sensor helps quite a bit also. I am about to change out the O2 sensors even tho I don't get a MIL. I found out on these Dodges, there seems to be alot of lazy *** sensors that cause just enough annoyances to the drivers without throwing a MIL light! TPS is very common lazy *** sensor.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
phobicsquirrel

Thanks, glad I found this place. Is the rear axil sensor different or is there a certain censor for each? Going to autozone I only found http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...uestid=1113227. One is labeled transmission speed sensor, the other is speed sensor. The part numbers look the same though..

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Go to Auto Zone and have the codes read for free. Then write them down and tell us what they are.

Example P 00**8

Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
phobicsquirrel

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Go to Auto Zone and have the codes read for free. Then write them down and tell us what they are.

Example P 00**8

They have the right equipment to do that? I was under the impression that codes usually don't show up with the sensors..? I wonder why the dodge dealer wanted to charge me... Thanks btw

Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Soft codes can fade real quick but hard codes stay for a while. Either way just get there REAL quick and have it read.

Quick Reply: MIL light on & Speed Dropping question