1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas guage vs. tank capacity. What's up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On a side note:

Went and got fuel today and looked at the pump hose bib and there was only a release valve to keep the hose windings out and I couldn't see the filter but I think it was in the bottom.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well here is a good link. there is very much truth to the fuel expansion theory. Not during a single day but more from summer to winter seasons, where the temperature is sustained for long periods of time (cold and hot)
http://www.turndownhotfuel.com/myths.html

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should add that at some accusation have been made toward some companies to heat their fuel before they deliver it or sell it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shusterjo
I should add that at some accusation have been made toward some companies to heat their fuel before they deliver it or sell it.
Does not surprise me, Probably charging us for the fuel used to heat too. Lobbyists are probably in the back pockets of congress to avoid the regulation and oversight. Rant complete.

I went for weekly fill up today, +1 on not observing filter. The only things I noticed were the holes at the end of the nozzle as described in howstuffworks.com Outside of the digital indicator, nozzle and hose, (which was new and looked like a pretty high strength GOODYEAR BTW.) You might also notice the breakaway couplers above the pump, NO I AM NOT ENDORSING PERMISSION TO TEST THEM LOL!! Just making an observation, they are breakaway in case you leave the nozzle in and drive off. If you are that (SHALL WE SAY INATTENTIVE!) you got bigger issues, but no filter, at least not visible. I paid particular attention to making sure the area and nozzle was clear but at least in my case, pump seemed o.k. $2.499/gal and 14.405 = $36.00. I did forget to check Dpt Weights Measures sticker but next time I am in area I will check for currency.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Jmodix

Might not be the right thread for this, but thought id mention something gas pump related.

I use to get my gas at the corner chevron station.. Until I noticed something very odd.. I was usually the 1st customer every morning. Id prepay for gas and notice that before I even began pumping the numbers were turning.

The most I saw it get up to was about 20 cents.. But still It was enough to make me question wtf was going on. Needless to say I called the number on the pump to report fraud type problems and no longer get my gas there any more.

Oh and btw.. I found the DTE reading on the center console.. getting blind in my old age.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
jrs206

When I bought my '01 4.7 the gas gauge was on E and the fuel light was on. I filled it up and took 25.2 gallons! Now my gauge says there is a 1/4 tank left and the fuel light is on. Is that normal?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well you could have an after market tank installed or the fuel station has messed with it's flow rate (which they can) and made it read short on actual fuel delivered. For instance, people can mess with the pump and make 3/4 gallons read 1 gallon to screw customers! Go to a different gas station (perferably Cheveron) and see how much you get?

And no that is not normal.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
jrs206

Alright, I have uesed 3 or 4 tanks of gas and still the gas light comes on with over a 1/4 tank showing in the gauge. Every time I fill up right when the light comes on and it takes between 19-21 gallons. I looked at the tank and it looks to be stock. Is the light something you can change to go off early or latter? Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no you cant, but it sounds like you gauge is sticking around 1/4 tank, mine goes off just under 1/8 and i can usually SQUEEZE 19+/- gallons into it

Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

If you only taking on 19-21 gallons and you should have a 25 gallon tank then you by default should be close to 1/8 of a tank and the light is coming on at the correct interval......IMHO......by following the 6.25 gallons per 1/4 tank rule as shown.

The pump is not on the bottom of the tank as it is held up from the top of the tank. The float could be a lil sticky or the tank has settled a little in the center. I think it is close enough to rely on.....IMHO

Quick Reply: Gas guage vs. tank capacity. What's up?