1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default power steering fluid

ok so my manual says that Mopar ATF+4 type 9602 is what should be used or power steering fluid is there any equivilant that you can get at an auto store or something for less than going to the dealer, we have 2 bottles dextronIII and one of something else that is not a mopar fluid.

and btw im only looking to top off what i have, not change it bc i have been getting an on again off again stiff steering issue so my first check was the power steering fluid which does seem to be a little on the low side, any advice on equivilants would be appreciated, thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

atf in ps ? hmm. i didn't know that.

atf+4 is available in several brands including walmart and valvoline. the valvoline is available at all autoparts store. its pricey, about 4.50-5.00/qt

here's what i recently did. go to walmart and buy a turkey baster. suck out all the ps fluid in the reservoir. refill. drive around some and turn a lot. repeat. the stuff you suck out is black and nasty. i refilled with plain old ps fluid. didn't know about the atf.

i also did this on my old chevy and it quietened down the groaning sound.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

idk the atf is just what the owners manual said it caught me by surprised too, and im pretty sure its not a good idea to mix types, so im asking for other ppls opinions and what they use to get an idea

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your 2002 should be using ATF+4. It may be rebranded at the dealer as PS fluid. Would be an interesting thing to find out. However, don't mix. Use the right stuff.

IndyDurango

Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, it's ATF+4 only!

Do a fluid change just out of the pump like I did.

DESCRIPTION - POWER STEERING FLUID
Mopar
t ATF +4, type 9602, Automatic Transmission
Fluid is required in the power steering system.
Substitute fluids can induce power steering system
failure.
Mopar
t ATF +4, type 9602, Automatic Transmission
Fluid when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed
red so it can be identified from other fluids used in
the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red
color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid
condition. As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin
to look darker in color and may eventually become
brown.
This is normal. ATF+4 also has a unique
odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor
and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition

or the need for a fluid change.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:25 PM
DLJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATF+4 is much thinner that Mopar PSF so they are different in many aspects.
I've been reading alot on power steering fluids because I wanted to replace my old psf on my 2000 dakota as a preventative maintainance and I was almost positive that Mopar AFT+4 would be great to use, but let me point out what I discovered.
I had to import some ATF+4 for my transmission (46RE) and had some extra that I could use in the PS system but I decided to suck some of the old fluid out from the reservoir, it should be factory original and looks like coke in color when in a bottle, the truck has about 60,000 miles.
Now what I did was running a series of comparative viscosity tests at room temperature and at 210F and what I found is that ATF+4 is much thinner at any temperature than the original mopar PSF. The viscosity difference is not slight, it is significant.
Well my old psf could have gotten thicker over the years... I don't think so... New fresh brand PSF have the same viscosity cold and hot, but not ATF+4.
I also found some posts from people stating that ATF+4 is syntetic and for trucks older that 2003 it will affect rubber and plastic components internally leading to failure and or leakage.
I decided not to use AFT+4 and purchase a brand name PSF.
Another thing, the owners manual states clearly not to use ATF but a petroleum base psf fluid because ATF could eventualy damage the hoses.
Hope I could help or warn someone about the issue.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

what you are saying is very likely true, however i still recommend checking your owners manual for the correct fluid, the question asked here was on a 2002 MY truck, calling for ATF+4 in the power steering, andi would venture a guess that all trucks w/ the newer (rack and pinion) steering would require the same fluid (i believe this would be starting around the year 2000)

Quick Reply: power steering fluid