1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Door locks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
BeachBoy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks

So, I'm about to have to change all four door locks because it sounds like a pig farm in the Durango when the power locks do their thing. This got me thinking about a semi-related issue... After putting the truck in gear, the locks engage. No problem. When you stop, the locks never disengage. Is there a way to change it to where when you put the transmission back in park/neutral, the locks unlock? It's a pain in the rear going around the other side of the car to get the kid out only to remember the car locked the doors everytime.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lock mechanism is bad. Needs replaced.

Locks Squealing

Locks Squealing - Part Deux

Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No there is no way to have the doors unlock when parking. Your best bet is to remember to unlock the doors or if your kid is old enough to teach to unlock the door do that.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 AM
BeachBoy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It's never a good thing for me when the solution involves "your best bet is to remember..".

By the way, how frustrating is it that you need to drop $300-$400 to replace four locks because of some cheap plastic gear in there?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
Thanks. It's never a good thing for me when the solution involves "your best bet is to remember..".

By the way, how frustrating is it that you need to drop $300-$400 to replace four locks because of some cheap plastic gear in there?
They all are like that.. no matter what manufacture of car, they are all plastic.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The locks should unlock when you open the doors from the inside. It sounds like your pissed because (it's just you) and when you stop and get out the doors you want to open are locked from the outside.....LOL

You can disengage the locks from engaging (but you can't have both worlds). Now lets say you disengage the locks from locking when in gear. Now you come to a stop light and some ******* has a gun/knife and opens your door and takes your baby?

Think about this?

I'll work around em ya know?

Quick Reply: Door locks