1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

dirty differential fluid causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirty differential fluid causing this?

would having dirty differential fluid cause your durango to shift funny when going up hill with 7 people in the car? my car shifts funny when in that situation. i put the foot to the gas and it just goes like its been going, i have to play around with the pedal to make it shift. all when going up hill though. shifts fine all the other times.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

what engine/trans do you have and is it a 4x4 or 4x2??

and if you have a 5.2/5.9L engine you may need to adjust the TV cable in order to make it shift better, but if you have the 4.7 you are gonna have to put it in that situation alot or reset the TCM by disconnecting the battery and draining the electronic system by holding the key to start for about 30 sec- a min and then recalibrate shift points with the car full of ppl, it WILL take a little while before it shifts "normally" again after doing this but it will come over the next 2 tanks of gas or so, or at least it did for me

Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

thanks. i'll give it a try. and i have the 4.7l engine im not sure of the trans- it's stock though

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea the 4.7 has a computer controlled trans so its harder to adjust since you have to train it by driving it, easiest way to do that is what i said, but it also resets the PCM at the same time so the D might not run 100% for the "learning period" but you can avoid this period by starting the engine and letting it settle to an idle, then shutting it off, repeat this 3 times and it will help the computer learn the engine parameters faster, after the 3 starts and stops start it up again and take it for a drive and ur trans will start learning how YOU drive which is how it adjusts shift points

HTH

Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the Transmission output sensor and also check your fluid level.

You might need a trans fluid/filter. Also I've seen transmissions do that when someone put fluid other that strict use of ATF+4 like when you take it to a shop and they install multi-vehicle transmission fluid. Has anyone put the wrong fluid in?

Also in your signature or Vehicle section in your settings it helps to input your motor size so we know what truck trans and such you are referring to without always posting your information. For instance yours says:
Vehicle: 2001 dodge Durango(Graphite)
How about removing the "(Graphite)" and but 5.9L or what you would like to do.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

hah ok thank you hydrashocker and shrpshtr325. and no nobody put the wrong fluid in as far as i know. i take it to the dealer to change the more important fluids.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That look 100% better now any question you ask the info is right there for everyone and nobody needs to ask. This also aid's in searching results.

Even a top off could do it. Always keep some fluid in the back to use when you have a shop look at it. I do this JUST to insure the correct fluid ONLY!

Check the fluid level first. Then do as instructed ^^^^^

Quick Reply: dirty differential fluid causing this?