1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Air Conditioning Air Flow Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM
b_palmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Air Flow Problem

Hi, I've scoured the forum and have not found my problem.

I have a 2000 Durango, 5.2L, 4WD, in which the A/C works great for a while but after 30 to 90 minutes, depending on the outside air temperature and the fan setting I use, the airflow through the outlets begins to diminish until the A/C becomes ineffective. The higher the fan speed, the longer it takes to get to this point of diminished flow. Once the problem presents itself it is irreversible. I can turn the fan speed up or down and hear the fan change speed but feel very little difference in air flow through the vents. If I turn of the A/C for 10 minutes or so it will operate normally - for a while - when I turn it back on.

What's the problem?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like your freezing up the core. Next time that happens try to turn on the heater to hot for a minute then back to A/C. This would melt the ice.

If you use MAX A/C then you should only run med-high and high positions. Other than that run just A/C at other speeds or if it is too strong add some heat from the dial to get the right temp and keep it from potential ice up.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On Max SC, as stated only run the AC on high or second to high.

Also, if you are freezing up, you are low on freon. If you are in a State that allows it, add a half can or so.

IndyDurango

Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

hmm mine a/c just runs poorly on low and medium settings. don't know the cause of the problem. maybe a dirty filter. not sure

Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 AM
b_palmer
Default Max A/C

Yes, I seldom run max but when I do the fan is in one of the two highest positions. I figured that ice was forming in the core but didn't know that was a result of low freon. I'll look into that ASAP. We're in WA and experiencing record braking heat. It works well for that but when on an extended drive is when we eventually lose it. By that point, I'm no longer in max.

I have turned up the heat in an effort to try to resolve the issue and that doesn't help. I don't know what the path of the warm or cool is but would be willing to bet that the heated air would mix downstream of the evaporator.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Air Flow Problem