1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case and 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:29 AM
jenkinst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case and 4WD

Ok it was snowing and I put my D in 4wd, then after I was finished I put it back to 2wd. But the 4wd didn't disengage. While driving down the HWY the differential popped and the seal/plug busted out along with all the fluid. Luckily I was within range of a Dodge dealer. (A known rip off dodge dealer). Anyway, after a $98 look-over they said I need to get all four tires the same brand and the tread has to be exact. The said 1/32nd of an inch will cause problems in 4wd. that’s a small amount; my tire could be sitting on some bubble gum. The result, it could ruin the transfer(s). Under inspection the gears are not black as they said they would be bad.

My end result was an estimate for an overhaul/service to the transfer and drive. This would cost minimum of $360 and a max of $2,500 to repair/replace. How can I isolate or test for a problem so I don't get taken. What would cause the differential seal to pop and the fluid spill out?

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Saint
Veteran
Default RE: Transfer Case and 4WD

That's BS about the tires effecting performance in 4wd. Yes a big difference can cause problems, but 1/32 of an inch is BS, because your tires naturally wear unevenly 1/32" difference can happen during normal driving conditions.

As far as the diff seal popping, I don't know, it's possible that the stress in the transfer case force enough pressure to pop the seal out, but I doubt that was the problem. Other than that I'm stumped, I've never had that problem with any 4x4 that I've ever worked on

Old 05-23-2004, 04:46 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saint-1/32 will cause issues. We replace PTO's all the time for uneven wear on caravans. When dealing with 4X4 and AWD it is crucial to keep up on tire maintence. BTW-if you are under warranty and have a 4X4 or AWD problem and the tires are worn unevenly you will be denied warranty.

Jenkin-alot of time if after you shift into 2WD the light doesn't go out: you should pull over and place trans into rev, then back up 10-15 feet and try going forward again. You should feel it "pop" out of gear. My guess as to why you blew it apart is that it was stuck in 4X4 and you can't drive around like that, it doesn't have a viscous coupling so it will break.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Saint
Veteran

I still gotta disagree with the 1/32. I only work with 4WD vehicles, HMMWVA1s, HMMWVA2s, and multiple Rough Terrain Forklifts. If we have a problem with one tire we replace only the one tire, it doesn't matter how worn the other tires are. I've never seen or heard of a problem with the 4wd systems in any of the gear that I work on.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:43 PM
dodgemech
All Star

Yeah I used to maintain the HUMVEE's at my unit, totally different system and much more tolarent of abuse than the NV series cases. They will grenade with different worn tires at diff positions.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
RamItOne

hrm so we shouldnt cook our tires????

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If our trannies are that sensitive to tolerances, no wonder everyone seems to have tranny issues! Just one tire slightly offsize from another tire can destroy an axle, transfer case, etc. Not good. I agree, 1/32 is way too sensitive.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

I have to jump on the bandwagon as well, i disagree on the 1/32nd issue. I've never heard such a thing and can honesty say iv'e clocked 10k + miles on tires if not more than a 2/nds difference in 4hi without issues. I agree with the reverse proceedure mentioned, everytime i switch back to 2wh i always reverse for a little bit just to make sure. The main question i have is, by "Seal/Plug" Do you mean the actuall diff/drveshft seal? Or "plug" as in check fill?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I call [sm=bs.gif]

I call the problem was AXEL BIND and it was admitted.

The tires were not the culprit here.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case and 4WD