1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Misfire deteccted

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can rent one from Auto Zone and test on the drivers side port.

You might just want to take it to the shop BC you have done about everything.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
fostervs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD40
Throwing p0302 in my 2002 4.7l. I have replaced the plugs and the coil for that cylinder. I unfortunately put in platinum plugs, so now I will be buying new plugs. Also when starting if I get in and turn the key right away, as opposed to turning to run and waiting a few seconds, it cranks over a lot longer. It also idles rough and is slow to respond to the gas first thing in the day. Have been getting the misfire code before the plugs were replaced, after, and after the coil was replaced. Any help would be great.

Note: Just plugged in the noid light and it seems the electrical side is fine.
I just purchased and installed a set of Autolite AP3923 Platinum plugs in my 5.9
It then ran like crap, sputtering like crazy. I checked everything, spark to each cylinder, double checked the gap, everything. Cleaned up, regapped and put the old Autolite plugs back - it runs fine.

These Autolite Platinum plugs are CRAP.

EDITED TO ADD: it also threw up the Check Engine light, I believe the code was P0302 as well.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Platinum is only good as the best color ever to paint your Durango. It should never be used as the sparkplug of choice.

Some get away with it, but some live when playing russian roulette too. Want to be the sorry chap to catch the bullet? Avoid the plats.

IndyDurango

Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 AM
fostervs

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Platinum is only good as the best color ever to paint your Durango. It should never be used as the sparkplug of choice.

Some get away with it, but some live when playing russian roulette too. Want to be the sorry chap to catch the bullet? Avoid the plats.

IndyDurango
Mine IS painted Platinum!
When I went to NAPA, that's what they gave me when I asked for the 3923 plugs. Tomorrow they go back, and hopefully they have the non-platinum ones.

Oh and BTW - I posted on here a while ago about the Halo plugs - just for fun I reinstalled and ran them again for a test - gas mileage decreased by about 1 mpg.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They took advantage of the situation then. The Plats are more expensive than the coppers. If you have trouble there, WalMart usually has them in stock.

IndyD <--- Plat paint too!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by fostervs
Mine IS painted Platinum!
When I went to NAPA, that's what they gave me when I asked for the 3923 plugs. Tomorrow they go back, and hopefully they have the non-platinum ones.

Oh and BTW - I posted on here a while ago about the Halo plugs - just for fun I reinstalled and ran them again for a test - gas mileage decreased by about 1 mpg.
Good job on taking the plugs back!

The Halo is only an idea that was proven wrong and I also talked about their use a while ago. Looks like my hypothesis was correct!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:56 PM
BigD40

Broke down replaced the fuel pump. So far no more problems. Starts great which I figured cause of bleedback but also no more misfires. Thanks guys!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Glad to see you got it and have a great time here at the forum. Lot's of great information here!

Quick Reply: Misfire deteccted