1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Install lower ball joint '02 D R/T 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 AM
aj963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To: schusterjo and hydrashock

Thanks for your input on this lower ball joint. I finally did get it in all the way. I have been using the loaner ball joint press set from a local parts place that was a universal set with many adapters. But none of those adapters fit my situation properly. I had to use wood blocks and wedges to get the angle I needed on the C clamp. After messing with it for awhile, I finally found a way to make it work.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes the can be a PITA but glad to see you got it. Did you lubricate it before install with a anti-seize?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Overcast72
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Sometimes the can be a PITA but glad to see you got it. Did you lubricate it before install with a anti-seize?
Hey - I'm getting ready to replace all four of mine too - both lower and upper. I figure while I have it apart, I may as well do it all right.

Sorry to 'necro' an old thread, but since it still seems to have the best info - thought it might be best to just ask here..

The anti-seize; that would be on the shaft of the ball joint then, correct?

Sounds like an interesting challenge on the lower ones, but C-Clamps will probably work ok to press in the lower one, if I get some good ones - and am willing to take a bit of time?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You place it on the main body of the lower ball joint before you press it into the knuckle. You can also place a small amount on the threads/shaft it you would like. Remember to align the grease hole to the grease zerk when pressing them in and check to ensure grease is flowing into the lower Ball Joint before installing lock ring and calling it a day.

BTW<----- Good luck!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Fox Fader
Captain

Originally Posted by Overcast72
Hey - I'm getting ready to replace all four of mine too - both lower and upper. I figure while I have it apart, I may as well do it all right.

Sorry to 'necro' an old thread, but since it still seems to have the best info - thought it might be best to just ask here..

The anti-seize; that would be on the shaft of the ball joint then, correct?

Sounds like an interesting challenge on the lower ones, but C-Clamps will probably work ok to press in the lower one, if I get some good ones - and am willing to take a bit of time?
No need for anti-seize, trust me.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no need for it until you go to take it off to replace it again (hopefully you wont have to, but if you do) then you will regret it if you did not use anti-seize, I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Overcast72
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
no need for it until you go to take it off to replace it again (hopefully you wont have to, but if you do) then you will regret it if you did not use anti-seize, I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!
You know what - I friggin' bought it - and in the mess of a mistake I made, i plain forgot to put it on there. I just replaced the uppers and man - what a difference it made in the front end. No more popping or thumps when I hit bumps at all.

But the friggin' garage... They said they couldn't align it because of the bad ball joints. Ok, fair enough, I know that - but they didn't even mention the two wearing tie rod ends, lol - were they going to align it like that? So it needs those too.

I might just have the shop up the street (different one) do the lower ball joints this spring.

Anyway - as to what happened to 'distract me' and in turn cause me to forget the anti-seize..

I was doing my brakes at the same time as the ball joints - made sense. Well, my mother-in-law needed new front brakes too. Figured - why not? I'll just knock it all out today. She has a Dodge Caravan....

Go to the Advance Auto - and either he or I got 'confused' on which pads where which - I could have sworn the 'bigger box' was for the Durango... my fault, I didn't check the part #'s like I should have.. I ended up putting *my* pads on her Caravan. Other than the clip, they were identical, but clips can change with aftermarkets sometimes - I figured it was a small design difference.

They fit the caravan, they worked fine. I go to put my brakes on and WTF??? They might fit, but these aren't right, lol

That's what I get for making assumptions and trying to get it done fast.. I don't overly rush, but I can get lazy sometimes on stuff, lol.

So brought her van back, figured better safe than sorry. Replaced her pads, then got started on mind about 2 hours later than planned. Oh well.

But - the guides here on the forums won't steer you all wrong on the ball joints, and buy the Moog or equivalent - you won't regret it, they were much more solid feeling than the original.

Quick Reply: Install lower ball joint '02 D R/T 5.9L