Manifold Heat Shield Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold Heat Shield Comparison

Hi,

I've been trying to work out why my passenger side upper control arm bushes always decay faster than the driver side - and in particular why the rear of the pair goes fastest.

I've noticed that the engine exhaust manifold runs just above the upper control arm bushes on the passenger side.

The front one of the pair has its own heat shield that seems to be attached to the engine and curls upwards - note, I'm not talking about the shield attached to the engine manifold, its under that one. It's best viewed by turning the front wheels to the right and looking at the control arm bushes from under the front wing.

Anyway on my 1999 5.9l D (2WD), the rear bush doesn't appear to have the same protection.

Can someone do me a favour and compare their D - if you look downwards between the engine and the air filter box and you can easily see the rear upper control arm bushing, then that's how its susposed to be I guess...

Thanks...Chris

Last edited by Chris_Gorham; 08-03-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mistake in Text
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could install polyurethane bushing.. They have a higher temp rating if you are really that concerned with it.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the Polly bushings.

Heat, stress on the rears, and could also be a bad tire out of round or shock. Sometimes you see those trucks going down the road slapping up and down real fast on the tires. Well the same thing goes on just hitting a bump. The front one is over so the rear one gets more abuse. Stopping would be the worse on the front.

Install the Polly bushings from energy suspension.

Quick Reply: Manifold Heat Shield Comparison