1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Desprate Measures

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

In regards to your 'chip'... get ANY chip out of the system ASAP. PCMs are expensive, damageable and smart. ANY chip (a $1 chip, a $20 chip or a $100 Jet Chip) will only change settings for a short while. Dodge did a wonderful job programing our PCMs to continually adjust and pull any Durango back into specifications as the sensors start to age and give different readings. Over time (about 100 starts) the PCM will re-learn and re-adjust rendering any chip useless in short order. It simply adjusts everything until it gets the readings it wants to see as a standard baseline within standard deviations. Any chip in the system is only running the risk of electrical damage to the PCM. From there, you have an expensive repair bill.

IndyDurango
Basically What Indy is implying to you is instead of installing a chip that the PCM will eventually override, go purchase a tuner/reprogrammer. A programmer will reprogram the PCM with the new performance settings and go by that configuration to operate your 5.9.

Hypertech and Superchips sells tuners/programmers for the 5.9. Both are great products.

Last edited by Kensai; 08-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Superchips stopped making 1998 Durango 5.9L tuners but other than that it's all good.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry i ditched on the conversation over the weekend. I was out and away all weekend long. Which is probably a good thing.

So, I messed up?!?!
I can return the chip, they have a $$ back policy. I'm stuck with the spacer.
I thought that the whole concept behind the spacer was to change the way the air flowes into the engine and improve performance. No true?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No truth there. These motors are Fuel Injected not carborated.

Carborated engines mix fuel and air. The spacer does 2 things on carborated motors.

1. Helps reduce heat on the carborator and that keeps fuel colder.
2. Gives the fuel a better atomization with air by giving it a different type routing and more time to blend.

In fuel injected engines there is no atomization in the carborator because there isn't one. There is a Throttle Body that regulates air and then there is fuel sprayed into the intake manifold right before the valve. The fuel injector mists the fuel to atomize with the incoming air. Therefore spacers do not do any of the 2.

It does make a nice paper weight!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie

Just wanted to give you all an update. I've gone through half a tank with the chip and the throtle body spacer.
I'm burning more fuel, 1 gpm more than with out the stuff.
Tomorrow I'm removing the spacer but leaving the chip through the rest of the gas tank to see how it does.

Later.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 AM
bigskiohio

map sensor might need replaced .

Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99 PCMs are sensitive and suspect to failure. I would get that chip out of the system as soon as possible.

If you are concerned over 1MPG, thinking about the miles you could get out of an extra $500. Why $500? Well a new PCM replacement is about $500 PLUS labor. That may shed some light on the seriousness of the issue. Just because they sell them, doesn't mean we should use them.

Sorry.

IndyDurango

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ I agree ^

Pull the chip besides the PCM will just learn it anyway and with a possible fryed PCM...... Not-fr-me!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
PRFISHBAR
Rookie
Talking

Pardon the ignorance. What is the PMS??? I mean, what is is on a car??!!

I connected the chip to the air temp sensor, as required by the manuf.

Today I made an ram air out of the OEM air scoop that connects to the side panel. I inverted the scoop and cut the section with a roto zip. The section that faces front of the car looks like a shovle. I'll post pics later this weekend.

talk later

Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRFISHBAR
Pardon the ignorance. What is the PMS??? I mean, what is is on a car??!!

I connected the chip to the air temp sensor, as required by the manuf.

Today I made an ram air out of the OEM air scoop that connects to the side panel. I inverted the scoop and cut the section with a roto zip. The section that faces front of the car looks like a shovle. I'll post pics later this weekend.

talk later
I looked threw the post and did not see any mention of "PMS", what was said was "PCM" and that is your computer that basicaly controls almost everything. You will find this on the passenger fender, a silver box that has alot of wires going to it.

Power control module (PCM)

Last edited by schusterjo; 08-14-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Desprate Measures