1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 D, transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
LVDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D, transmission issues

was hopping to get an answer, I can't trust repair shops in Vegas.

My D has 170,000 miles on it, rebuilt tranny 40k earlier.

Recently, upon start, the truck revs to about 2,000 rpm before slowly moving forward. once driving the truck shifts and drives fine.

When I start in 1st or 2nd gear the stall problem does not exisit, and drives normal.

can't afford a high $$$ repair.

thanks for the help

Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you taken it to autozone and have them pull the codes?

SLIPS IN LOW GEAR “D”
ONLY, BUT NO IN 1
POSITION
Overrunning Clutch Faulty. Replace overrunning

Thats what i get from a diagnostic list.

Have you checked the fluid?
Does this happen all the time or only when cold?

Welcome to the forums..

Last edited by schusterjo; 08-09-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 AM
LVDurango

schusterjo- Thank you for the warm welcome, I never knew the forms existed until I was searching google.

something else I learned new today, I didn't know that Autozone can pull the code, will go tomorrow.

It occurs when cold and hot. So now I drop her into 1 or 2 to accelerate then to Drive.

I'm just hoping I can get away with a low cost repair.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LVdurango,

Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I was having a while back after changing out the fluids. The durango basically wants to start off in 2nd gear, thus why you get a high rev at 2000 rpm for a while until it gets to around 20 mph and then everything shifts fine. You will see the tranny shifts fine if you manually throw it in first and then drive.

I took my truck to a few places to check and they all came back with a possible tranny failure. Before I took it to the dealership and blow $120 for their diagnostics fee, I checked the fluid level on my tranny again. The fluid seems to be just on the low mark of the stick.

When I had my tranny rebuilt from Martin Shane (Previously with fastman), I noticed the tranny was stuck in 2nd gear when taking off. Later after adding another 1.5 quarts of fluid, the problem went away.

Now with a recent fluid change, the problem came back. When I noticed the fluid was just touching the low point of the fluid level, I added about 2 quarts of fluid before I finally got the fluid to go between the fluid marks. This did not resolve my issue. I took it to a few tranny shops for their opinions after they test drive it and said that the tranny problaby is gone out without confirmation as I did not want to pay for them to drop the pan just yet.

I drove it home, and said what the hell, if the tranny is really going out, I will add more fluid to see if it addresses the problme like it did the first time this happened to me. This time, I filled the fluid to the max mark on the stick. Drove it a few miles and immediately noticed that first gear is working now. At least half the time it does. Now I added just a little more fluid where it is just slightly passed the max mark and the tranny now shifts fine.

Now I wonder if the fluid stick is the original stick that came with that tranny or was this stick came out of my tranny? My guess at this point, the min/max fill lines could be off a little. Enough to cause my tranny shift problems due to low fluids even tho the fluid stick says it is within the min/max lines.

Remember when you check your fluid level, you must have your Durango at least in Neutral position with the parking brake applied. You cannot properly check your fluids if the tranny is in park position.

Hope this sheds some light on your tranny.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

are you sure that the problem is in fact in your transmission...are you describing over revving on idle and then no power...

you're TPS might need replacing or your IAC needs cleaning / replacing...standard D issues so search for posts

alternatively you're ignition cable (cable between accelerator pedal & butterfly valve) could be pinched and needs replacing

could also be that accelerator pedal has something trapped underneath like a mat or something

start simple then work up...

Chris

Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Possible Torque Convertor Solenoid going out.

First make sure your fluid is at the right level. You can try a fluid filter and fluid change ATF+4 fluid only!

Quick Reply: 99 D, transmission issues