1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Mod

I read that a person can cut a wire on the TCM which should be a yellow wire with a green stripe on it. I see a module with 4 connectors plugged into it on the passenger side fender area. I also saw the wire on a connector that is colored green when unplugged. Is this the connector with the wire on it. If not, can someone please tell me where this wire is located.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
I read that a person can cut a wire on the TCM which should be a yellow wire with a green stripe on it.
Name:  icon_confused.gif
Views: 244
Size:  683 Bytes Uhhhh why? Name:  nononono.gif
Views: 246
Size:  234 Bytes

I would suggest staying away from all of the PCM and TCM wires.
Name:  brick.gif
Views: 253
Size:  5.1 KB

IndyDurango

Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Devil_dog_switch
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've read this too, it only works on 1999-2002 models i beleive. i have an 03 and it can't be done.. it's a simple thing.. it creats firmer shifts by stopping the computer from cutting the gas that half secodn during shifting.. be warned though.. although that's nice, i would imagine it puts added wear on your tranny. if you need any help let me know.. i've seen this done a time or two

Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Anyone who reads this please disregaurd it all... Non-sense...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duranged408
Anyone who reads this please disregard it all... Non-sense...
LOL that there is funny... Yes, DO NOT go cutting wires running to the PCM/TCM. want firmer shift? Do it right and install a transgo shift kit.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Devil_dog_switch

wow.. this is funny.. this site is all about not doing it, and the other site i'm on.. that' the first thing they've done.. almost the entire site.. i've heard great reveiws from it.. though i do agree cutting wires is ussually not a good idea.. but i've seen first hand this "mod" it does work.. but like i said.. i can see bad repricusion(SP?) from it

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well first of all the TCM is located on the driver’s side. The OEM stereo amplifier is on the passenger side so your other site that you belong to don't know jack squat! So your buddies are cutting the amp wires and their transmissions are shifting great?..... ROTFLMAO!

Second, only the 45RFE transmission is electronically controlled transmission the rest are monitored with few options and is hydraulic.

Third, the only thing you could possibly cut out would be torque management and that would affect all gearing (not just 2nd) and throw codes like mad.

Forth, just because everyone is jumping off a bridge do you do it?

Now I've heard of cutting this particular wire on the CTM and everyone has told me it's the OEM alarm. I currently do not have my wiring diagrams with me. My suggestions is that you drop your other sites and come over hear where we don't go around cutting wires and do it the correct way. If you want to have your transmission shift harder then install a shift kit designed to do it the correct way like Transgo.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil_dog_switch
wow.. this is funny.. this site is all about not doing it, and the other site i'm on.. that' the first thing they've done.. almost the entire site.. i've heard great reveiws from it.. though i do agree cutting wires is ussually not a good idea.. but i've seen first hand this "mod" it does work.. but like i said.. i can see bad repricusion(SP?) from it
Yeah, some on here seem pretty close-minded on stuff they apperently don't know anything about.

I have a 46 so I never really paid attention to this mod but I have read about it and it does work.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I get around (that doesn't sound right) and I've never heard of it.

My guess is misdirection, mischief or misguided. Either way, it's a no no.

You know those 4.7l guys. Always trying to do something to make up for the tricycle motor they have under the hood. The big boys advise against eating ice cream and peddling real hard at the same time. Something is certainly going to go awry.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 08-29-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I want some more information on cutting wires for more performance and the reasoning and dino charts on this modification if you want to call it that????

Still sounds like cutting torque management to me and one can get around that the correct way with a flashed PCM from places like B&G Performance PCM's and also get horsepower and torque????????

Quick Reply: Transmission Mod