Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seafoam

I was reluctant to try Seafoam (IndyDurango thread in Gen 2), but I need to get my Durango dyno'd as it is running too lean or rich and spitting up a code of "random misfire". Now, it only happens once it sits for the weekend and starts rough every once in a while. I am Diablo's beta test and until I get a dyno that is either AWD and long enough or I pull my JBA headers, unbolt the drive shaft, reattach the headers, run the test and reverse this will continue to happen. Tried Seafoam for the hell of it and that stuff is like rocket fuel...must be pure acetone. Oh, I quess it cleans the engine as a secondary bonus,
FF

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I don't like any additives but if one is going to be used then it's Seafoam and thats it.

PS........ Have you ever tried distilled water?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I could give some helping advice fascistfaction.
A clean D is a happy D.

I have ran a can of SeaFoam through my fuel tank many times over the past 9 years. Only once did I do the "pour it down the TB" deal and the the truck smoked like you couldn't imagine. So much so that someone in the neighborhood called the fire dept! It was a thick white cleaning smoke. Not something to do as often as the gas tank method but certainly something to do every few to five years or so.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 09-01-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 AM
smoke stacks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i plan on seafoaming my 95 ram very soon. any advice or videos to show me how? i wont be putting any in the fuel since i just put octane booster in it. so i guess in the brake booster and the oil? my truck has a rough start up so im hoping this will clear that up.

Last edited by smoke stacks; 09-01-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a vid of what it looks like.

The main directions are on the can, but I'll tell you as well.

1/3 in the fuel tank
1/3 in the Brake booster
1/3 in the Crankcase.

I don't like putting it in the fuel tank because I don't think it works that well.

I do the Seafoam treatment every other oil change. Here is what I do

I unhook the PCV valve, and slowly let the fluid get sucked up through it. I'll let about 1/3 of the can go through there. You have to be careful here, because if you allow it to suck up too much, it will stall the motor out, and you don't want to do that just yet. After that, I will slowly pour about 1/2 of the remaining into the TB with the blades partially open to keep the motor running. When you start to get to where you have just a little bit left, go ahead and pour enough in to kill the motor. Then, I take a shop rag or microfiber towel and clean the TB blades off. Usually wait about 15 minutes and then start her back up and watch the smoke show. It's fun to watch, and if you've never done it, it might surprise you. Usually you'll see a good deal of black smoke come out of the exhaust. It's normal, and a sign that it's doing it's job. Also, if you suspect an exhaust leak, the smoke is a great way to find it.

Hope this helps, and that the D boys don't run me out of here.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 09-01-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

easier than the PVC method... take off the air hat and with the truck running, slowly pour it in the TB and all around. Keep the truck running by the TB linkage or have someone at the wheel running the gas pedal. Once you get it all in there, it will have smoked and smoked. It will continue to smoke for 3 minutes or so even after you are done. Once the smoke clears, my recommendation is to swap the plugs and go on.

May want to try a little water via the same method above. Use very little. SeaFoam burns, water does not.

IndyDurango

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
smoke stacks

thx guys, ill try it soon. hopefully i can record it and put it on here

Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason I put some of it through the PCV is because I think it kinda helps to clear the gunk out of them, so they don't freeze up.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Hope this helps, and that the D boys don't run me out of here.
Us Durango boys won't run you out. We value everyone opinion as we share the same power plants.

Thanks for the vid. The other thing with letting the vacuum pick up the Seafoam is that the fluid goes in sideways into the intake manifold helping to clean up residue from the oil vapor.

Remember to change your oil immediately after this type of cleaning procedures as the blow by will push the cleaner into the crank case breaking down the lubricant especially if you but some in the crank case.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 AM
smoke stacks

yeah im due for an oil change anyway

Quick Reply: Seafoam