1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant system pronlems! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM
spclord21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolant system pronlems! Need Help!

My 5.9l durango's upper coolant hose with the filler tube and cap on it came apart on me. I am wondering if anyone knows if I can just put a normal coolant hose on there and drive about 10 miles at 55mph down the road without killing my engine? I don't really want to have it towed if I can prevent that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:03 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can IF you know you are okay on coolant. Connect the hose at the bottom, fill it up to make us for what you lost in fluid and then get you a new hose at the dealer. There is no cap and no cap valve so you don't want to run that way forever, but a little like you said is fine. YMMV

Here is the story on how my hose let me down in the wee hours of the morning and how I had to wake the wifey. She was not all so happy! Also in the story are details on aftermarket hoses, etc that I used and tried during the same ordeal. Hope that helps you!

IndyDurango

Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you can do it BUT pressure can build up and with no way to bleed it can rupture the radiator.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya you Will have a bubble in the system and may keep it from fully cooling.. just pull over if it starts to get hot on ya... DO NOT let it get hot or you will be in a world of trouble

Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM
spclord21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yeah, it worked good to get me home. It did get a little hotter than usual but the engine is fine. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spclord21
Yeah, it worked good to get me home. It did get a little hotter than usual but the engine is fine. Thanks for the help.
Well glad ya got it home and thanks for posting back with the results, wish more would post back results such as yourself.

By the way welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Coolant system pronlems! Need Help!