Valvoline atf+4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Thats it!

Now from now on you need to get replacement filters from them after the mod.
that would suck..... talk about gotcha lol. I forsee that filter costing a little more every year lol

Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filter was included with the pan along with new allen head bolts, washers and even the allen key wrench required. One thing that does concern me however, is that the gasket doesnt seem the greatest. It is not cork, but not the high strength rubber that was on there originally. This seems like a paper gasket, flush and fit and all but I am wondering about long term reliability. It also brings up the question again about whether to use the sealant/RTV again in place of the gasket. I am pretty sure the dealer is going to say use RTV but I will check with them anyway. If this pan works as good as everyone says it would be worth getting another vehicle with the 545RFE trans and transferring this pan to the next vehicle but that is just thinking out loud for now.

MAGIC

Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't use cork or the one it came with. Go get a good rubber one and lubricate it with a light film of grease before install (no sealant needed) and you can even re-use the gasket if needed.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Dealer still swears by the sealant. I talked to transmission mechanics, not the service adviser. Same Story, one or the other but not both. I got the MOPAR RTV sealant and spin on filter at dealer so I am ready either way. I wish I could find a rubber gasket. LAst time I got one I believe it was in a filter kit available from O-reillys

Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

NAPA has it for like $2 bucks.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...+Molded+Rubber

AZ has the as well.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No gasket, sealant fan here too. Rear diff is the same way.

IndyD

Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thanks. MY "Waterpump/cv axle/hub bearing guy" said he would install the pan for $50 and use all my parts pan, sealant, and ATF+4 so sounds like a winner. I am leaning towards the sealant though.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Do what you will.

I'm just a rubber gasket man thats easily reusable and reliable without flaking. I just hate gasket sealant, but if I use it I get RTV Copper.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

FOLLOW UP:

Had the fluid changed last week. I went with the MOPAR Sealant as per manufacturer instructions/recommendations. Normal change and all is well but a couple of side notes.

1. PAN: The pan comes with new bolts, and I recommend them, sounds like transmission rebuild shop lost a few pan bolts along the way and used replacement bolts, when removing the pan there were some 8mm and some 10 mm. I believe it comes with 16 or 17 bolts and washers and the allen key required. Pan only has 15 bolts required so a couple extras. My mechanic didnt use the allen key but the allen key socket, more of a personal preference so whatever works. There are two extra plugs. The first one is of course the drain plug on the bottom, and the other is on the front of the pan (as installed on the vehicle) that is the plug for the optional sensor/sending unit for a temp sensor. Make sure these are tightened before installation of the pan to the transmission.

2. Fluid, book shows 5.0 quarts but we wound up using seven, which the mag-Hytek people noted in the e-Bay ad and shipping package. Either way I purchased 10 qts so I got to return three at $5.49/qt + tax so a little over $17 back on my credit card. I also recommend checking the bottles and using from the same lot number, plus another $7.00 back from returning the drain pan.

3. I did get a M.I.L. after servicing and CODE P0700 and P0841 I don't remember the exact wording but basically the P0841 is low pressure and P0700 is trans control circuit, the verification code. Sounds like the two codes are associated and once I drove it around a bit and got some fluid circulating through the system and across the sensor the code got cleared and has not returned.

4. RTV: As mentioned I used the MOPAR RTV Sealant and had no issues. Went back for 72 hour follow up/leak check and so far so good.

Thanks for the input!!

MAGIC

Last edited by MAGIC84; 09-30-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Valvoline atf+4