1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Problems with 2003 AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
originalsullymsn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 2003 AC Vents

I have an 03 Durango. The front AC will not blow out the dash registers. I can change it with the switch to the defroster vents, but when I switch it back to the dash, it blows out at the floor.

Any ideas?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

On the Driver's side of the vehicle, look under the dash towards the center and you will see a connector plugged into a servo actuator motor. Turn your key on and rotate your **** from defrost to vent and see if it is turning the white plastic piece behind it. If it is turning it, you might want to take the servo off that is held on by 3 screws. Be very careful when taking the servo off because the white plastic pieces behind it will fall out of place. There is a chance that the top plastic piece has a dowel that tracks in the inner plastic piece and is out of place. This servo controls the door for defrost, vent, and floor.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be a vacuum leak. Check all hoses under the hood.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Could be a vacuum leak. Check all hoses under the hood.
this. (+1)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
originalsullymsn

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
On the Driver's side of the vehicle, look under the dash towards the center and you will see a connector plugged into a servo actuator motor. Turn your key on and rotate your **** from defrost to vent and see if it is turning the white plastic piece behind it. If it is turning it, you might want to take the servo off that is held on by 3 screws. Be very careful when taking the servo off because the white plastic pieces behind it will fall out of place. There is a chance that the top plastic piece has a dowel that tracks in the inner plastic piece and is out of place. This servo controls the door for defrost, vent, and floor.
Thanks, that was the answer. The servo was rotating across the entire range but was misaligned - too much offroading I would guess . Anyway, aparently it was turning off the window defroster and opening the center stack but the other switch that closes the floor was being missed.

I will have to take it off to fix it correctly, but was able to put a temporary fix in place for now.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Problems with 2003 AC Vents